Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap lens 110-135 (to be sandblasted)

Cheap lens 110-135 (to be sandblasted)

I am going to Namibia next year, and plan to take my Arca 5x4. The problem is that there is a lot of sand where I'll be, and the wind blows. So there is, I suspect, significant danger of sandblasting the lens. I'm reluctant to take my 110XL. So, could someone recommend a cheap lens for 5x4 in the 110 to 135 range where it won't be a tragedy if it gets sandblasted? It needs to be something that comes with (or at least which will screw into) a decent shutter as the light will be strong so I need to be able go down to a 250th at least. I guess I could use a sacrificial filter instead, but still sand plus $1000 lens does worry me a bit so I'd prefer to buy some (quasi-disposable) glass for the trip.

Many thanks

David.

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Cheap lens 110-135 (to be sandblasted)

Hello David,

Why don't you put a UV filter on the front, take a couple and treat them as expendables and toss them when they're blasted. BTW, you may like the diffusion effect of the blasted UV filters and decide it's your new "look." ;-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Acheron Photography View Post
    I am going to Namibia next year, and plan to take my Arca 5x4. The problem is that there is a lot of sand where I'll be, and the wind blows. So there is, I suspect, significant danger of sandblasting the lens.

Many thanks

David.
    The sand will not only blast your lens but the whole camera too. Chances are it will enter whatever movable mechanical part of it. How about a cheap camera (to be sandblasted) too?

Your shutter could be the worse issue if it starts to get in there. Sand in the timing gears of a shutter would probably mean no more shutter.

The optar and ektar lenses that come with speed graphics are high quality and cheap, then figure in a CLA before use. Their downside might be that less coverage for extreme movements. Some of the older speeds came with zeiss tessars which might be pretty inexpensive and high quality too. For modern stuff, Fuji 135 5.6 is also a quality choice. For prices of these choices you could have a spare sealed away. And keep it on a lensboard so you don't have to introduce sand/dust separating the cells.

Been to Namibia some years back, visiting the diamond area. It is one of the most windy region on Earth (along the coast, that is). The wind blows the sand, while heavier diamonds accumulated. 100 to 200 years ago, you go on a full moon and pick the shiny bits off the ground. Bushmen thought they were gifts from gods and used them as arrow heads.
    It's a beautiful place, definitely, where you might encounter the one-legged barman with his blind three-legged dog. Weird things in the desert sometimes!

I think you may find that the photo opportunities will justify the use of your 110xl. What is the point in having such a nice lens and not using it in a fantastic place. Just look after it.

David

The instinct is more than understandable, but I second the filter notion. Seems a shame to sacrifice any lens, and shun another.

Thanks all for your advice. I'll consider the XL plus filter idea certainly but something like an optar has a lot to recommend it...

David

look at some way of covering the main parts of the camera with material when you don't need access, to minimise potential sand uptake