Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson: which software?

Epson: which software?

I'm going to be getting an Epson 4990, or possibly a V700.

Is the Epson software OK or should I count on needing to get Vuescan or Silverfast? If so is one of these preferred for Epson scanners?

Re: Epson: which software?

I would go with Silverfast or Vuescan. I think the main advantage of Silverfast over Vuescan is that Silverfast has the "real" licensed Digital ICE. Vuescan has it's own version of Digital ICE (Infrared clean) which works fine-but maybe not quite as well as Silverfast's. If you are scanning Black and Whites that won't matter to you since ICE doesn't work with B&W.

Other than that Vuescan is the winner hands-down in my opinion. Vuescan is easier to use and can be used on any platform you want (Mac,Linux,Windows) and is just plain better IMO.

3d Visual Effects artist

the epson software works just fine to me. I tried both silverfast and vuescan, but ended up just sticking with the epson scan software. I don't really use the ICE or grain reduction or sharpening, so maybe that's why I didn't find the silverfast or vuescan software any better than the epson. I'm scanning only B&W film, by the way.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I use the epson software. It's weird and a bit hard to control at first, but lately (4 months or so in) I feel able to make it do what I want. more or less. I tried the other stuff and couldn't make heads or tails of it.

If you get the 4990 I think you might want the betterscanning.com film holder.

And I use the Epson software for the V750. Don't use any imbedded corrections - all post scan adjustments are done in PS. Can't comment on Vuescan and Silverfast.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I would go with Silverfast or Vuescan. I think the main advantage of Silverfast over Vuescan is that Silverfast has the "real" licensed Digital ICE. Vuescan has it's own version of Digital ICE (Infrared clean) which works fine-but maybe not quite as well as Silverfast's. . .
    Silverfast does not license Digital ICE from Kodak. They do, however, process the IR channel using their own code. Here's a link:

http://forum.silverfast.com/post22884.html

And here's what's to be found if you follow the link:

iSRD and ICE both use an additional scan with an infrared lightsource to automatically correct image defects. Contrary to ICE, iSRD also delivers the opportunity to influence this process with optional manual settings mode. To enhance an image even further, iSRD can be combined with traditional SRD, both there's an automatic iSRD mode which works as ICE does.

ICE is a trademark of Kodak Eastman, and must be licensed to use in a third party software product. iSRD had been developed by LaserSoft Imaging.

Please refer to the "iSRD / SRD Addendum" on our website for detailed information on how to use iSRD:
    http://www.silverfast.com/documentation/en.html

best regards,

Thomas Luebker,
    LaserSoft Imaging AG

This doesn't mean the Silverfast solution is bad. But it definably isn't Digital ICE.

I prefer Silverscan for scanning color negatives. They have options for many different kinds of film, and they work fairly well at removing the orange mask that's typical in color negative films.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Another vote for the Epson software. I tried the trial version of Silverfast that came with my 4990, but couldn't figure it out. Epsonscan is more user friendly and works just fine for me.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Yet another vote for Epson Scan. I actually do 75% of my color correction for color negatives in Epson Scan (via Levels), and scan directly to a high quality JPEG (at 2400 DPI). I use a 4990.

That gives me more than enough leverage to do the final 25% of the color, which is done as a Curves adjustment layer on top of the JPEG in Photoshop.

I own VueScan for tinkering reasons (it can output RAW scanner sensor data), but have never felt the need to use it for LF. SilverFast never did it for me.

LJ Segil

Epson Scan. I must be just too dim to get Silverfast to produce anything worth the trouble involved. I use Vuescan occasionally if I want a RAW file to use with ColorPerfect software for negative inversion, otherwise I don't find Vuescan to do anything too much better than Epson Scan, but find it more difficult to use to get to the same result. YMMV, I think whichever package is most comfortable for you will get you similar results as any of the three.
    Larry