Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable Release

Cable Release

What's a good, durable cable release and source? A plastic or metal/cloth clad type with lock, and also a very simple thin non-locking type? Need to replace mine whose source I can't remember.

Re: Cable Release

I like Ebony, sounds expensive, but the one I carry in my pocket has outlasted a dozen cheap ones...EC

Gepe and Linhof both make very good, durable cable releases. The Gepe ones are more economical, but the Linhof releases are Linhof, what more needs to be said.

--
    Rick

Gepe makes both cloth and PVC releases as well as spiral steel and heavy duty steel and mesh steel covered releses. They are available in various lengths and with either a Zeiss type lock or a "T" type lock. Linhof releases are PVC covered and have "T" type locks. Both primarily have turning nipples. What type and length do you want? Gepe and Linhof releases are available from your camera store.

hit up a local camera show/swapmeet and buy up a handful. I always come home from my local one with about 5-6 for usually 50c-$1/each. Got a Linhof one there last time too , "for a quata"

deals are out there. cable releases are easily lost(at least by me), so I figured why pay bookoo bucks for a nice one, and just get 25 cheapy(some are really nice) ones instead?

just my $.02

-Dan

Some of the better one's you can find are Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Horseman & of course the Linhof.
    The Nikon uses a Leica nipple but a hard to find adapter exists too.
    Of these I prefer the Horseman it's smoother, very flexible & 20" long with a substantial handle & lock.

I wanted to open a new thread, but i came to this one, so i take the chance.
    I am looking for a shutter release with a "long reach" plunger, at least 25mm, better if something more.
    I need it for two applications where ALL my shutter releases are too short:
    1) one is a big size Silens shutter, that does have both pneumatic (bulb + hose) and conventional actuation, but the piston that transmits pneumatic actuation is not air-tight anymore, so the use of a flexible shutter release of adequate lenght is the only option. BTW, i have a smaller Silens shutter, that works both with the bulb and with one of my flex releases (that has a slightly longer reach), but the bigger size (75mm hole) does need a plunger a few millimeters longer to be operated.
    2) the other is a Compur No. 00, with a Schneider Super Angulon 65mm, which i fitted on a recessed Linhof/Wista board; the "S" shaped metal thingie that came with the (chinese) recessed board was too big, so i had to fit an hand-made adapter, whose only problem is that the shutter release plunger needs to be a few mm. longer than the release i normally use

I was told that a Linhof cable would work, but unfortunately my Linhof cable is broken, i need to find the flex cable, the part that actually screws on the push-button with the two fixing pins (made that way to be able to fit it on the Technika, in two different places).
    A friend of mine told me that he has a few of them, but he don't know where to look, so my hope to find one in a reasonable span of time is very slim!
    I'd buy one, better if cheap and used, if somebody has one of them.

Another choice could be a cable release attached to some kind of handle, for example the handle of my Mamiya Press Super 23 has a cable with quite a long reach... but i don't want to dismantle my Mamiya, it would a pity to see the camera damaged in its integrity, and it would be more difficult to sell

I would be more than happy to find a suitable cable on Ebay, but after all my searches i didn't find a single shutter release whose description included its maximum reach, from fully retracted to fully extended.
    I found a reference, time ago, about Prontor cables, and the author of the post reported a longer-than-average reach. I bought a used one on Ebay, for very cheap, but its plunger was not longer than the average chinese cable sold for LF use (the same that is given for free if you buy on Ebay a chinese-made Linhof/Wista recessed board, or bundled with chinese wooden cameras).

When it broke down, the Technika cable revealed some kind of extension tip, fitted on top of the flex cable. Unfortunately it got lost, so i don't know if it was big enough to be used as an extension for a conventional cable release (just glueing it on top of the plunger).

Any advice for a purchase, or any trick that could be implemented, would be very welcome!

have fun

CJ

Gepe releases (at least the ones I have) have long throws. Mine work fine with large Alphax and Ilex Universal shutters, which require quite a long throw to fire.

--
    Rick

My Horseman gives a 22mm throw.

I bought Gepe and they didn't work. I found the Hama short releases (about 12" IIRC) at Badger work with my long-throw lenses, but the longer ones (about 20" IIRC) don't work. The longer releases have much shorter throws. I did get a better fit on the shorter release by running the cable end through a 3mm die to give a straight thread. Don't know if your threads are straight or tapered.
    juan