Thread: Shutterless, how to go about?

Shutterless, how to go about?

HP newbie-to-be is wondering how to go shutterless.

Recently my Indian-made Vageeswari Half Plate checked in. I had two shutterless lenses that I recently sold but while doing so, I got interested in using lenses like those.

Still have a Minolta F-Rokkor-QF 200/5.6 shutterless lens left Yesterday I spent some time getting that lens into a wooden lens board and hooked it up to the Vag, but I'm puzzled on how to go about with a shutterless lens...? It does not have an aperture either. Would probably have to conjure up some waterhouse stop system for it. I already found out that the two parts of the lens can unscrew and I might create black cardboard waterhouse stops to fit between them.

So, I'm looking for clues on calculating exposure with regards to aperture and bellows draw, and also timing those exposures (!?). Using my hat for a shutter? Dark cloth? Hand?

All tips and tools of the trade welcome, or direct me to an exsisting thread, I could not find one through forum search or Google...

PS: Not to worry. Fomapan still can supply HP sized 100ASA film and I will use an inlay behind the film to make up for the not-present glass surface so I'm good to go there.

Re: Shutterless, how to go about?

Eighty-eight people watching, nobody telling...

What's the secret handshake?

hacker extraordinaire

Cut a slot in a piece of black foamcore. Put the piece of foamcore in front of lens. Pull darkslide. Move foamcore sideways, drawing slot across the front of the lens. Replace darkslide. You can easily get 1/100s shutter speeds this way with a thin slot. Probably higher.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Thanks guys, I was beginning to feel a bit lonely here...

Found that this post gets me going in the right direction. The lens I have is 62mm front diameter so fixing an existing shutter to that isn't all that simple, but a guillotine shutter might do the trick.

You could try to get one of these (Thornton Pickard rollerblind shutter)

and fit it to the front of the lens. You can find them in different sizes, and surely there's one that will fit your Minolta. I find them often at the fotobeurs in Doesburg or in Houten. They're usually broken and can be bought for a few bucks, but when you replace the cloth, which is quite straight forward, and you have a great shutter.
    Though stopped down I've also quite often used my hand or a darkslide with good succes.

That is one great tip, Math. Thanks a bundle!

For reference on how to fix one, I found this pictorial on the internet.

Off to the Houten Camera Fair, I guess...!?

Quote Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
    That is one great tip, Math. Thanks a bundle!

For reference on how to fix one, I found this pictorial on the internet.

Off to the Houten Camera Fair, I guess...!?
    Yup! That's a good site that explains how to fix them. If you're lucky you can find some broken ones where the shutter curtain is still light-tight, which makes it easier.