Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lesser-known parks for LF photography

Lesser-known parks for LF photography

One of my favorites in California is the Hoover Wilderness, just North of Tioga Pass after leaving Yosemite. Pass the cappuccino stand (hey, this is California) and look for the dirt road to Saddlebag Lake (the highest lake in CA that you can drive to, 10,300') The store at the lake has a ferry service to the North end(beats lugging the 8x10!) which is in the Hoover Wilderness. Its got glaciers, summer storms, snowcapped peaks, meadows, an old mine,honk'in trout, and mosquitos that are so big the FAA gave 'em "N" numbers. Well, six out of seven isn't bad! At that altitude you get lots of mileage out of your wine, too!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Wow, those places sound very beautiful. Thanks for sharing them!

Another place that I thought of, although one which I haven't personally visited, is White Sands National Monument in New Mexico. For a long time I've wanted to go there and see the sunrise and sunset colors in the dunes.

Goblin Valley State park in Utah. You can get lost in the rows of weathered sandstone rock formations that look like giant petrified mushrooms. If you want to see what it looks like, rent the movie Galaxy Quest. They crew goes on search for a fuel source and the mine is set in the park.

Kadachrome State Park and The Valley of the Gods both in Utah are nice areas. In the off seasons very few travelers.