Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the standards of LF Photo ?

Post What are the standards of LF Photo ?

What are the standards of LF Photo ?

I share some large-format photos, but moderator said they are not LF photos...

I

Re: What are the standards of LF Photo ?

What do you consider to be large-format photos?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Usually 4"x5", but 2"x3" or 3.25"x4.25" or 6cm x 9cm are considered LF. This forum's standard, I do not know.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

spam

Only 4"x5", but 2"x3" or 3.25"x4.25" or 6cm x 9cm ?
    Can the formats be changed? larger or smaller?

Can the formats be changed? larger or smaller?
    Larger sure, but smaller isn't LARGE FORMAT. Even 6x9cm as been disputed since it is technically medium format-but some view cameras are 6x9.

Sounds suspicious that you think that smaller would qualify

First, welcome Stanley to the forum.
    Although there is some contention as to just what minimum constitutes a large format negative, or camera as most speak of here, the forum has been generally accepting as far as I see of sheet film and sheet film cameras in sizes 6x9 and up. Also, there is always talk in the forums here about using rollfilm backs on 4x5 cameras, although you don't generally see many pictures posted from the smaller frame sizes in rollfilm unless in support of a point, or thread. I will note tho that the standard in many minds here is a minimum of a 4x5 camera, but the guys that have been here for a long time are generally more accepting then excluding in forum talk. Now, you might see in the classifieds ads for smaller formats, but that is just a service to those who shoot the larger formats and is not intended for general public listings. For those we recommend either APUG or Photonet. So, if you want to really fit in grab a 4x5. The rollfilm cameras are considered medium format and the smaller sheet film cameras are spoken of often although many shooters that I know of don't post their pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Crider View Post
    I will note tho that the standard in many minds here is a minimum of a 4x5 camera, but the guys that have been here for a long time are generally more accepting then excluding in forum talk. Now, you might see in the classifieds ads for smaller formats, but that is just a service to those who shoot the larger formats and is not intended for general public listings. For those we recommend either APUG or Photonet.
    Which helps explain why my 3.25"x4.25" film and 3.25"x4.25" film holders classifieds get viewers but not buyers. The good news is that 6 of the 10 boxes of film and the film holders have sold in a few days.

Short history, I bought 1919 3.25"x4.25" RB Auto Graflex in excellent condition although I was concerned about getting film. I did have trouble getting film and made to custom sheet Ilford by two days. In the mean time I started having shutter problems with the camera. Eventually I was able to meet with the seller again. He said that he has sold the camera to me as usable camera, but he could see that it could not consistently work. So he declared it a "shelf queen" and refunded my money.

Working on the 3.25"x4.25" RB Auto Graflex led me to a retired Graflex and Graphic repairman who sold me the 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic and 4"x5" Graflex Model D. So now I can play in this sand box with the big kids!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stanley7749 View Post
    What are the standards of LF Photo ?

I share some large-format photos, but moderator said they are not LF photos...

I
    For the purposes of this forum, we define "large format" as being essentially 4x5, or larger, sheet film. We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras).

Images from conventional medium-format camera (Hasselblad, Rollie, non-view panoramic cameras, etc.) are considered "off-topic" and not appropriate for the main forums. Images from such cameras, however, may be posted in The Lounge for discussion there.

Thank you for not drop kicking me when I came with problems with the now departed 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 RB Auto Graflex or later when I put the film and film holders up for sale. Now I am firmly in the 4x5 realm.

Steve