Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Re: Gnass Filmholder Case - Some Design Thoughts

Great news.

Thanks for seeing this through, Bruce.

I can say that I have a few Gnass 4x5 holders and have compared them side by side with the PB prototype. The PB has significant improvements (especially zipped compartments) and the price is very good. I will be ordering 4x5 and 8x10.

great news. perfect timing

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    90 days from the point where I agree to the production. I am still re-re-re-re-negotiating the price. I am hopeful this will be resolved this week.

Hint for sourcing out of China - estimate the production time, change it to the next higher unit of time and then double it.

Bruce
    Bruce,

Sorry I am so late to the game on this. When out hiking, I have always thought about fashioning DD holder cases that would velcro to my outer thighs over the muscle. Quick and easy access and out of the way unless you're crossing water in which case I'd quickly pop them in my backpack. Just a thought that's been rolling around up there.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    I have always thought about fashioning DD holder cases that would velcro to my outer thighs over the muscle.

Ron
    Hoo boy! Can we please see an illustration of this?
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Bruce,

Sorry I am so late to the game on this. When out hiking, I have always thought about fashioning DD holder cases that would velcro to my outer thighs over the muscle. Quick and easy access and out of the way unless you're crossing water in which case I'd quickly pop them in my backpack. Just a thought that's been rolling around up there.

Ron
    Are you thinking about something like the pockets found on Cargo pants except detachable?
    Bruce

Ron Miller

Are you thinking about something like the pockets found on Cargo pants except detachable?
    Bruce,

Yes, I think that will do. I'd imagine that different people would find them comfortable oriented a little differently on the thigh. And there may need to be some sweatproof padding against the leg but yeah, that's the general idea. I did walk around the house with 4 DD's rubberbanded (the huge USPS rubberbands) to my thighs a few years ago and I got use to them in a few minutes.

Ron

Ron Miller

Bruce,

You seem receptive to suggestions so I'll offer another. I've bought your backpack + accessories and also a case for my Chamonix. When I use your backpack (which is becoming less frequent because of its size), I put the Chamonix in its case and the case in the backpack.

But now I prefer to keep the camera on the tripod when hiking. And most of the 4x5 LF photogs I have seen in the canyons leave their camera on the tripod when hiking. Obviosly my observations are of a small subset. But what I need is a protective cover for the camera when it is on the tripod while I am hiking. Protective against the swipes against twigs and small branches when walking through the woods and of the fine sand that blows in the high desert areas or even against the spray of mist while walking down the beach to a spot. Not intended for dropping the camera of course, not that kind of protection at all. What I do now is throw a plastic bag over it when it is folded down and put a rubber band around the bag to secure it around the top of the tripod legs. I even though of laying out some carbon fibre into some sort of clamshell.

Regards,
    Ron

How much protection do you envision? A quilted fabric, 10mm foam like my cases or foam with HDPE plastic for penetration protection?
    Bruce

Ron Miller

How much protection do you envision? A quilted fabric, 10mm foam like my cases or foam with HDPE plastic for penetration protection?
    Good question. I did think of taking your case as a starting point and rigging it to the tripod with a showl of some sort. This was before my trip last April to CO and UT in April. I slipped on some ice and the camera went into a snow bank. At that point I thought about carbon fibre with foam inside. The carbon fibre is overkill for my stated purpose but I think HDPE with a little foam inside would be great. I don't know the temp range of HDPE.

Again, I wasn't thinking of a hood that would protect the camera if you dropped it down a canyon or even from 5 feet up. Just some minimal protection so you could have some peace of mind when hiking with camera on tripod.

I wonder what others think about this.

Ron

What if it also was designed as a rain cover with Velcro flaps that open for taking pictures?