Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Way Beyond Monochrome

Re: Way Beyond Monochrome

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    The only thing I dislike about the book is that it is printed on the heaviest paper. I can't read that book unless I'm sitting at a table.
    Why not consider the Kindle version?

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Beyond-Mon...6608224&sr=1-2

Don Bryant

I have and really like the kindle. I often click that button that tells the novelist "hey ... a kindle edition ... please!"

Not for this book however. That would diminish one of the core educational aspects of their well composed method. The book is full of photographs that so well illustrate the concepts. They are subtle and therefore effective. You really can after reading the text look at the frames and have an epiphany. The photos are so perfect that they complete the ideas behind the text.

On a kindle it would be like learning to be a chef without ever having a morsel. Or to learn to drive a car with only classroom theory.

Now, I would love to have the choice of an accompaniment edition bough for extra only to those who buy the hardback. I would go for that to have some of the concepts to digest - without the weight.

But on its own a kindle edition would work very poorly indeed, I feel.
    To find the answers - question them!

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    I have and really like the kindle. I often click that button that tells the novelist "hey ... a kindle edition ... please!"

Not for this book however. That would diminish one of the core educational aspects of their well composed method. The book is full of photographs that so well illustrate the concepts. They are subtle and therefore effective. You really can after reading the text look at the frames and have an epiphany. The photos are so perfect that they complete the ideas behind the text.

On a kindle it would be like learning to be a chef without ever having a morsel. Or to learn to drive a car with only classroom theory.

Now, I would love to have the choice of an accompaniment edition bough for extra only to those who buy the hardback. I would go for that to have some of the concepts to digest - without the weight.

But on its own a kindle edition would work very poorly indeed, I feel.
    I don't own a Kindle but if I understand correctly are you suggesting that there are no images in the Kindle version?

Don Bryant

FWIW, I have the PC Kindle though I have no illustrated books.

No Don the images are actually quite decent but not at all geared to photographs in the way where we could discern some of the points they are making through their illustrations. Not at all. I mean those shots which show the differing effects that different curves impart - they would be completely pointless. The kindle impresses me greatly (if I could ever get it back from my ten year old!) but the photos are quite a bit like early 16 shades of grey Macs from 1990 gave you.

but the photos are quite a bit like early 16 shades of grey Macs from 1990 gave you.
    Hmmm, too bad. That will probably preclude my purchase of the book as I have way too much paper in my life. If the book was a 'Fine Art' edition then that would be a different story. Thanks.

...Now, I would love to have the choice of an accompaniment edition bough for extra only to those who buy the hardback...
    Absolutely.

For reference books or textbooks like this, a Kindle edition alone is not the best. The full book version is the way to go. But I would love to have the Kindle version to for reading while travelling, etc. For another $5-10 I would happily buy the combo, but not for double the cost. I ordered mine before it was available so a Kindle version did not exist.

Do or do not. There is no try.

A number of chapters are available from Ralph for free as PDFs, I had downloaded and read many of them prior to the print edition's release. Not the whole book, at least then, and not the same level of image quality as on paper, but useful and portable if you're already carrying a laptop or netbook. I don't know if these are still available, but at the time I downloaded them there were 11 files (some are appendices, I think).

There are segments of the book that would be very useful on Kindle. I agree with the idea of being able to buy both for only a small adder in price. Having the Kindle version alone would not work for me.

John

I wonder then if a mass appeal to the author may work?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Hmmm, too bad. That will probably preclude my purchase of the book as I have way too much paper in my life. If the book was a 'Fine Art' edition then that would be a different story. Thanks.
    Pavel+ is talking about the quality of the pictures in the Kindle version, not the book version. The pictures in the book are of very good quality, but this is an instructional book, not a "Fine Art" book.