Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ries Tripod advice

Ries Tripod advice

Would a Ries C600 support a Sinar X with a Betterlight scan back? Ries lists the maximum supported weight at 14 lbs, which is what the Sinar + Betterlight would weigh. I have a Slik GrandMaster CF and a Gitzo Studex, and use them with Manfrotto 405 or Sinar Pan Tilt heads. Both are extremely stable, but aren't very compact for travel. I've never used a wooden tripod before, so advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kumar

Re: Ries Tripod advice

I use a Ries and love it---they are very conservative in their rating when it comes to wieght and they are very stable platforms---but I've never thought of them as being all that compact.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

This one folds up to 21", so reasonable, I think?

Kumar

I have owned quite a few brands and like the Ries over all of them. Best features compared to a Gitzo is the ability to adjust each leg angle and the lock knob design works with gloves on. Once set up they are a solid as any tripod I have used, but I would also not call them compact. I prefer the one section legs over the two section legs, easier to set up and really not that much larger.

Drew Wiley

I don't have a scanning back, but have used a C100 Ries with a Sinar F2 for long
    exposures, even with very long bellows extensions. Plenty solid, because you can balance the rail anywhere you wish. In extreme situations, two rails clamps were
    mounted to a maple board, then this directly to the top of the tripod. Since the X
    camera is quite a bit heavier, I'd simply ask the Ries people if you could test the
    tripod out. They recently replaced a leg for free for my very heavily used bigger J tripod, and as far as I'm concerned, their service and warranty are simply great. Wooden tripods also inherently have the ability to dampen vibrations better than other materials.

Photographer

I believe this is the "packable" Ries tripod that I had. The legs are joined like a collapsible cue stick. I found it wobbly at the joints.
    Keith Pitman

Drew, I'm in Japan, so there's no way to test it.

Keith, wobbling is certainly not good for a scanning back!

Kumar

For several years, I’ve enjoyed the J600 tripod whose “packable” design is like the C600 you mention.

(The J600 is 2 lbs heavier, can support 2 additional lbs., its crown is ¼” wider – of course, you’ll have to decide whether these differences suit your needs and are worth the additional cost, about $200 more.)

Some quick tripod observations which should apply to the C600:

Keep in mind, the tripod’s maximum height of “59 inches” is the height when the three legs are assembled, installed on the tripod, and “closed together,” with their feet touching each other. When you open the legs so the tripod can stand, this height will be lower (perhaps 50" or so), but your tripod head will, of course, add back some height. When the legs are assembled and “closed together” in this way, and tightened down, the tripod is very easy to carry around for short (or not-so-short) distances.

When I do macro, or need to be close to the ground, I typically unscrew the legs, put aside the top portion of each leg, and reinsert the lower portion, and tighten down. Very versatile!

Ries’ black transport bag is very nice, tough, well designed. When your tripod is disassembled and stored in the bag, the parts stay put, making transport and storage quite convenient. Often, I've strapped the bag to my backpack (vertically or horizontally), and walked through branches and brambles with ease.

I imagine one cost to the C600/J600’s unique design is, perhaps, a greater chance of being slightly more “wobbly” than Ries’ other tripods, but I’ve never had a chance to compare – nor felt the need. And my tripod’s leg joints have never come loose after several years, but I’ve heard of this happening – no worry, that’s covered by the generous lifetime warranty.

And the Ries people are so very helpful and supportive. Call them and they can address more technical questions, too. Hope this helps.

Heroique, that's more reassuring. I'm getting closer!

Kumar

Drew Wiley

I'd agree with Keith. The shorter outside leg sections, and the screw-together inners,
    just aren't as stable as the longer C100. But given your specific equipment, I'd feel
    a lot better with the J100-2 Ries, which should be plenty stable. Unfortunately, all my own Sinar P components are mounted to dedicated studio gear and not available
    for field testing like my Sinar F is. And I'm just beginning to test my new Feisol carbon tripod - their biggest model, and easily supports my 8x10 at half the weight
    of the J Ries. But in windy conditions, there's simply nothing better than a big Ries.