Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reinforcing the Korona extention

Reinforcing the Korona extention

Hi folks,
    The extension rail on my Korona 8x10 is starting to sag. I use a lightstand to keep it up when I have the bellows out 12" or more. But I need some ideas to keep it from sagging much. Sometimes, the lightstand is in the way.

Re: Reinforcing the Korona extention

Somewhere I have some of those small, long Korona rails that I think are for that purpose. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. I had it in my head they were for a banquet camera but maybe they are for regular cameras as well.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rankin View Post
    Somewhere I have some of those small, long Korona rails that I think are for that purpose. Maybe someone else here knows for sure. I had it in my head they were for a banquet camera but maybe they are for regular cameras as well.

Richard
    What do those do? Trying to picture it in my head. Those Koronas aren't designed too well. I'm using a heavy 12" Ektar and I can see it sagging. Its like 90 years old though. The lightstand trick works but that's gets tiring.

The Korona rails attach to the undersides of the front bed, center block, and rear extension. Like a straight brace that goes along the bottom of everything. The ones I've seen attached with kind of a slotted thingy kinda thing. Hmm - lookit the B&W picture - it's the piece under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott -- View Post
    The Korona rails attach to the undersides of the front bed, center block, and rear extension. Like a straight brace that goes along the bottom of everything. The ones I've seen attached with kind of a slotted thingy kinda thing. Hmm - lookit the B&W picture - it's the piece under the bed.
    Ohhhh, hmmmm, I wonder if I have that piece!

Those are the kind of things I used to have lying around here somewhere....
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Hi folks,
    The extension rail on my Korona 8x10 is starting to sag. I use a lightstand to keep it up when I have the bellows out 12" or more. But I need some ideas to keep it from sagging much. Sometimes, the lightstand is in the way.
    I made a support for my 5x7 Ansco in the form of a piece of good-quality luan plywood
    with a center-mounted ''T'' fitting to take the tripod screw from my ball head. It both supports the frame (which is quite rigid in any case) and moves the center of gravity more towards the center of the extended camera.

Just waiting to be developed..

I cant remember if the 8x10 korona has a tripod socket in the extension but if it does, here is what i would use.
    A Tripod Accessory Arm, it has 2 tripod sockets on an arm.
    The arm goes onto your tripod and supports both the camera and the extensions. At worst a small hole drilled into the extension should be enough to support it.
    This works perfectly for my 12x20 Korona but can probably be adapted to work for an 8x10 and 4x5/5x7 Korona’s.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

IIRC Steve Hostetter had a recent post featuring similar thingies - and I think he fabricated them

I wondered for a long time what those pieces were. They came with my Gunglach 8x10, but unfortunately, there was no extension! If anyone has an extension they'd part with, please PM me.