Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting on Indian reservations

Has Been LF Photographer

Re: Shooting on Indian reservations

The permit cost certainly seems reasonable.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    The permit cost certainly seems reasonable.
    Ain't that the truth!

I have no personal experience, but I've heard from a friend who has photographed on reservations a lot that the locals like cash "tips" if they are photographed. If it were me, I'd go with permit on one pocket and a bunch of $1s and $5s in the other.

Re: lensers question on hoiw much time gets spent on political correctness... I can answer that: definitely too much!

Has Been LF Photographer

Brain, good that you brought up the tip thing. I'm sure it varies from place to place, but the brief experiences I have had indicate that tips were appreciated.

Photographing individuals varies from situation to situation also. My guess is that one could get answers when purchasing the permit.

Good idea, Brian. My work assignment is purely architectural, but who knows what I'll photograph on the other days I plan to spend in the area. I've been thinking purely landscape, but I'll prepare for people as well.

Deane is right, the cost is negligible.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Is "Reservation" still a politically/socially OK term? It brings a lot of nasty images to mind.
    It's the term used by the people who live on them, according to my wife who works with a lot of Native Americans. But we can all try to make up a politically correct term at this point....or not.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    (Reservation) But we can all try to make up a politically correct term at this point....or not.
    It's been done for us: Tribal Nation or Tribal Lands. At least, that's what they call them West of the Colorado River.

Please note that these terms are not interchangable with "reservation" when booking a restaurant table, hotel room or airplane flight.

lihuahellen,

I was just trying to mine the membership for personal information from anyone who had this kind of experience.

I had already checked out their web site before opening this thread and found only general information....nothing specific to this topic and nothing to direct me to a revenue office or licensing office. As I replied in a response of my own, I did reach them by phone and easily got the info (posted the prices here), but it took four phone calls to finally make contact and then to to get through to the correct person.

Brian,

I referred to both "Nation" and "reservation" on the phone with them and they made no correction to either one. So now I guess when the job is actually assigned, I will make a reservation to shoot on the reservation. (Sorry Brian, but you started it.)

Like I said, very nice and helpful people once I finally got through on the phones. Should be a good experience.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

"Can I reserve a reservation to camp on the Reservation game preserve?"

I was told some in the tribes don't consider the reservation lands to be their tribal lands. For example, most are not in areas that the tribes originally lived, or wanted to live. So some (most that I've heard around Arizona and 4 corners) still use the term "Reservation."

Interestingly, while most of their original "prime" land has been ruined by development, the reservations now sit on some of the most beautiful territory in American.

Yes, of course you are correct Garrett.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    "Can I reserve a reservation to camp on the Reservation game preserve?"

I was told some in the tribes don't consider the reservation lands to be their tribal lands. For example, most are not in areas that the tribes originally lived, or wanted to live. So some (most that I've heard around Arizona and 4 corners) still use the term "Reservation."

Interestingly, while most of their original "prime" land has been ruined by development, the reservations now sit on some of the most beautiful territory in American.
    I don't understand this statement. The "Four Corners" tribes like the Hopi and Navajo and the Southern Arizona Pimas are pretty much on their ancestral lands. They were "allowed" to stay there largely because the land was considered worthless-unlike the gold rich Black Hills of the Sue. Now many like the White River Apaches have considerably less land in reservation than they claim (half of AZ, NM and Northern Mexico), but that is kind of a different question and also involves conflicting and overlapping claims amongst the Indians. The Colorado Utes, also near the Four Corners, of whom I know quite a few, claim half of Colorado and Utah, but they are on their ancestral lands.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"