Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ball Heads vs. Pan Heads

Ball Heads vs. Pan Heads

I've noticed a number of threads re: ball heads, which are best, etc. and they seem quite popular. I've tried a ball head with my 4x5, but frankly I have trouble using them. When trying to adjust one axis I tend to alter (read that as 'screw-up') the other. Can anyone explain the advantages of a ball head vs. a pan head for me? Thanks.

Octogenarian

Re: Ball Heads vs. Pan Heads

The main advantage of a ball head over a pan head is that a ball head does not have protruding handles that can get in the way while transporting. They are a more compact size.

Ball heads also allow for an increased variety of camera movements. They can be set at almost any angle. Useful with a smaller format camera.

I also find that a LF flatbed camera is easier to level with a pan head than with a ball head.

The better ballheads, RRS, Arca, Linhof... are much smoother and easier to adjust than the cheaper ones, but there is always a little bit of initial grab when you're trying to make a small adjustment that can be quite annoying. With landscapes it's not much of a problem, but with architecture it can be really annoying.

The best ball heads tend to be lighter, more compact (as Gem mentioned), and stronger than general pan tilt heads.

I've had an Arca B1 since the early 90s. I love it for 35mm and medium format. I hated it with my Sinar monorails, but it's ok with my Toyo AX.

Arca style quick release plates and camera L-plates are terrific.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Can anyone explain the advantages of a ball head vs. a pan head for me?

Ball heads are great when used with 35mm cameras and big telephoto lenses. They really shine when shooting wildlife, where scenes are fleeting and time is short.

Can't think of a single reason to prefer a ball head for large format cameras.

I use an Arca B1 head for 8x10. You should see what happens when the set tension drifts and the ball "unlocks" with camera attached.

I really want a Manfrotto 405 but the price is slightly staggering.

You've already stated the main problem with ball heads - difficulty of adjusting one axis without affecting the other when using a heavier camera. When you're photographing architecture for example, where there typically are a lot of lines that need to be parallel and at correct angles to each other - windows, doors, sides of buildings, etc. - a ball head is an exercise in frustration. I used an Arca Swiss B1 with my medium format camera and now use one made by Really Right Stuff with my digital camera. But a pan-tilt or better yet, a geared head, works much better for me with 4x5.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you all for the feedback. It seems to track my own experience with ball heads so at least I can take some comfort in the fact that my coordinative skills aren't entirely shot.

Ball heads are however more compact and faster to use than a pan/tilt. Point camera in right direction, lock, done. Easy with a reasonably light LF camera. If you can set it up almost right then you can often get away with using a tiny bit of shift or rise to tweak the composition instead of using the head if necessary.

Ball heads are great for 4x5, especially lighter field cameras like Canham and Toyo. They are lighter, stronger, and more compact than comparably sized pan-tilt heads. My Arca ball head folds up inside the inverted legs of my tripod which is great for traveling. Pan-tilt heads can be very bulky for traveling and some require removing the handles.

I agree that pan-tilt heads can be more precise much of the time when making precise adjustments. However, the better ball heads have excellent ability to adjust tension so that careful use makes fine adjustments possible without nudging the alignment of the other axes. Also, even good pan-tilt heads like Gitzo require a little extra nudge to move the camera whereas ball heads can be set to very fine tension adjustment.

I think that ball heads are better when using lightweight field cameras and travelling. I prefer pan-tilt heads for working out of the car or using 8x10. My Gitzo pan-tilt head has a huge platform which is much more stable with a Wehman 8x10 than the little quick release plate of the Arca.

I do see the compactness advantage of the ball, I'm not sure I will ever be able to claim one is faster to adjust, all-axis, than a pan head though. Maybe I just need to practice more.