Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom comfort items?

Re: Darkroom comfort items?

...pot... erm, medical grade...

Quote Originally Posted by theBDT View Post
    ...pot... erm, medical grade...
    Hmmmm...I can see myself developing prints in the single malt scotch and drinking the amidol....better pass on the pot.

I don't have a darkroom, but if I did and was spending a lot of time in it, I'd definitely be wearing a pair of Sanita clogs. Stupid comfortable for standing for long periods. I think I'd also make it a point to walk briskly around the room once in a while to encourage blood to return to the ol' heart.

Well, I've never felt a need for fancy darkroom footwear. But a plain mono, single speaker radio can help a lot at keeping me oriented in the complete darkness during film tray development.

I'm not sure it would qualify as a "comfort" item, but for me an invaluable piece of equipment is the vacuum sealer to keep my developer solutions from oxidizing. Before I bought one, I would constantly be throwing away old developer which had gone bad in the bottles. Now I store developers in dark wine bottles and vacuum seal them, and every time I pour my developer it is as clean and clear as the day I mixed it.

A dishwasher is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
    I'm not sure it would qualify as a "comfort" item, but for me an invaluable piece of equipment is the vacuum sealer to keep my developer solutions from oxidizing. Before I bought one, I would constantly be throwing away old developer which had gone bad in the bottles. Now I store developers in dark wine bottles and vacuum seal them, and every time I pour my developer it is as clean and clear as the day I mixed it.
    I'd be interested in learning a little more about your vacuum sealer setup Michael. I don't get to spend as much time as I would like working in my darkroom, so there are times when things go bad before I can finish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
    The real trick is to develop a lot of film constantly...

This article discusses and illustrates an affordable vacuum sealing device.

It's on the Pyrocat Forum, but can be applied to any chemistry.

I hear you biglewsmi. Until I obtained a vacuum sealer, I would always try to fill my developer bottles to the very top, because any air that remained would invariably and inevitably oxidize the solution. I can't tell you how much precious chemicals I have had to throw away because of it. With the vacuum sealer I use old wine bottles (gives my darkroom a very classy look, as long as you don't mistake the Dektol for Riesling), and utilizing the special valved bottle stops, I can keep my developers in half filled bottles, but without any air to oxidize them. I bought mine at a nearby Fred Meyer's store, but I'm sure that you can easily find one on the internet.