Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: constant temp for water bath?

Re: constant temp for water bath?

I thank you all for your responses. Vaughn is correct. After taking his most informative carbon process workshop this last weekend, I know that this is the direction I shall pursue in my photographic endeavors from now on. Once the "glop" is made, I need to maintain the temp of said "glop" in my non water heater darkroom. I appreciate, and shall follow up on the suggestions made. The community of photographers on this site are always ready to help and share of their experience. I learn a lot here. Thanks!

May I add here, that Vaughn has determined a way to achieve a good amount of relief here with this process.(carbon) His methods, due to his experimentation and endeavor may in fact now be used by other proponents of this process. And that is good. I think that is what he would like. He is a pioneer of an old process brought back. There is a true depth to carbon that silver gelatin cannot approach. Different, but a difference that I truly appreciate. Imagine a great tree trunk image, that has a three dimensional relief on the paper. I hope this reply is still relevant to the original post per the moderators, as I look for the darkroom water bath. Robert

Robert, all I did was re-invent the wheel and got it spinning in the general direction I wanted it to go.

Here are some ideas from other carbon printers...

Plastic picnic cooler -- got to keep adding hot water until the glop reaches temp -- then fairly stable. Nice Low Tech way!

electric rice cooker (Zojuirushi NHS10 - 6 cup - approx. $50) and a larger Bella Cucicina Slow Cooker (4 qt. crock pot - approx $20) on "Warm" (for two batches)

Fisher Scientific Isotemp water bath -- $50 on eBay

Modified fish tank warmer (modified to heat higher)

a 'soup warmer / kettle' - a $4 plastic thingy; on it's lower settings it maintains 100-110 F IF it's fully loaded.

(from Jim F.) I use an old cooler to start with. After I get the glop down to the right temperature I take it out and put it on one of those candle warmer things. I think I got it at Big Lots for something like $2.00. keeps the glop at the right temp. the whole time I pour. It works great and is Cheap!

Vaughn

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vigurs View Post
    I need to find a method for bringing a water bath to 105 F, and keep it there.
    I measured my fish tank heater last night, and at maximum it heats the water to 114F. When I develop color film, I use my Jobo.

I knew some guys who ran an E-4 line (yup, it was that long ago) using a plastic kiddy pool and a couple of aquarium heaters.

You can make this as sophisticated as you'd like. For example, you could use a PID t emp controller, such as http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=106, along with a thermocouple and an appropriate relay for a heater, and you could easily keep the temp constant to within 1F. That's what I did for my electric smoker. It works great. That said, a used water bath would do the same thing for less money and hassle.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hell, just put it outside here in Arizona. WELL at night atleast, in the day it will be hotter.