Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Possibly) Broken Lens / Shutter Help!

(Possibly) Broken Lens / Shutter Help!

So a few months ago I bought a Nikon 150mm lens on Ebay that was used but supposedly in perfect working condition. I just recently got a cable release to fire the shutter and it is definitely not firing accurately or consistently. I would try it several times set on 1 second and it is not consistent and when it does look like it fires correctly, the noise of the shutter does not sound "healthy" at all. Does anyone know anywhere in the New York City area that I can take it to, to get it looked at? Do you think I should just buy a new shutter completely and the lens should be fine right? Could it be a problem with the cable release? Any other advice is appreciated. (Sorry for all the questions. I've been looking forward to shooting for months now, as I have just finished acquiring all of my first 4x5 equipment and then this happens. Bah.)

Re: (Possibly) Broken Lens / Shutter Help!

anyone?

What about the other speeds? If they sound right, then you can always do the 1s in bulb setting.

Sounds like the shutter needs a CLA. Once the slow speeds start getting sluggish and inconsistent you'll find that it's likely to get worse.

Sometimes just exercising the shutter - firing at the other slows speeds quite a few times helps bring it back to life. That worked with an older 90mm Super Angulon I bought, and it's been fine the past 2 years

Ian.

Something in your post makes me want to ask what kind of shutter it is. Does it HAVE to have a cable release to fire it? I hope it's not what I think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    Something in your post makes me want to ask what kind of shutter it is. Does it HAVE to have a cable release to fire it? I hope it's not what I think it is.
    Nope. You don't NEED a cable release to fire it.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Sounds like the shutter needs a CLA. Once the slow speeds start getting sluggish and inconsistent you'll find that it's likely to get worse.

Sometimes just exercising the shutter - firing at the other slows speeds quite a few times helps bring it back to life. That worked with an older 90mm Super Angulon I bought, and it's been fine the past 2 years

Ian.
    I think this is actually working a bit, but I'm afraid that it still isn't firing accurately. Is there any way to check? I don't want to bring it out in the field and have it crap out on me.

You can definitely hear the clicking when it fires, but it either gets gummed or fires very quickly at slower speeds. Also, it's a Copal 0 shutter.

I know you are disappointed, but getting a good CLA for an older lens (meaning one that has been sitting around getting gummy do to lack of use for awhile) is not something to fight against. It will guarantee that you have a good working lens and shutter and will give you a chart with the accuracy of all speeds. Often the top two or three speeds will not be exactly as marked, so knowing the exact speeds at which they are firing will help with your exposure accuracy.

It also does not have to be terribly expensive. While some shops charge in the range of $175-$200, several are much, much less. Contact KEH.com and you can get an on line estimate. Also, my favorite is Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com who is in the $60 range, but who usually has a backlog so she may take awhile.

Good luck and you will be much more secure once this is done.

In any case, it sounds like you are in a position to have to have this done and it is very worthwhile.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I know you are disappointed, but getting a good CLA for an older lens (meaning one that has been sitting around getting gummy do to lack of use for awhile) is not something to fight against. It will guarantee that you have a good working lens and shutter and will give you a chart with the accuracy of all speeds. Often the top two or three speeds will not be exactly as marked, so knowing the exact speeds at which they are firing will help with your exposure accuracy.

It also does not have to be terribly expensive. While some shops charge in the range of $175-$200, several are much, much less. Contact KEH.com and you can get an on line estimate. Also, my favorite is Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com who is in the $60 range, but who usually has a backlog so she may take awhile.

Good luck and you will be much more secure once this is done.

In any case, it sounds like you are in a position to have to have this done and it is very worthwhile.
    Thanks for the info! Has anyone ever worked with Professional Camera Repair Services in NYC?