Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alhambra Book Published

Alhambra Book Published

Hi

Finally after 4 years work my book of images from the Alhambra, Granada, Spain Called "From Darkness to Light, THe Alhambra" is published! It's on its way to the US distributor and available for pre-order at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Alhambra-Darkn...4707811&sr=1-1

lots of large format pictures, well mostly large, but medium and digital format too, you can see some of the work here:

http://www.adriantyler.net/print02.c...9&idseccion=11

I'd like to thank the people on this forum for all their kind help
    whilst learning about large formant photography

adrian

Re: Alhambra Book Published

Congrats Adrian, looks like a lot of hard work went into that. Nice to see some shots of Granada that are not dialled up to '11' for warmth, saturation and overall cozy niceness.

Congrats Adrian, I went through your website for an update too -- you have the highest caliber work throughout.

Adrian,

Looks like a great book and I will be ordering it.

I spent a year studying in Granada as a young man and am also very familiar with the work of Lee Fontanella so lots there to recommend the book to me.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks for the support guys! yes Struan, this was as much a battle agianst "visual imperative" than anything, and Sandy, Lee Fontanella was the obvious choice as author as he is the highest authority on Hispanic 19th century photography, and unlike so many curators he actually knows what a photograph IS...

Great Job!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Excellent!!

¡Muy bien chico!

Congratulations Adrian.

As a matter of coincidence I have visited Alhambra just 2 weeks ago and still have many views in a fresh memory. In particular I was impressed by the view that is so well visualized by the photo 7/8 on your webpage (which I tried to photograph but most certainly failed as tripods are not allowed there). I hope that the book will be available also in Europe at some point.

Actually - how one gets to such a place alone without any tourists? I failed to get even a tripod permission (I tried to arrange one per email).
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post

Actually - how one gets to such a place alone without any tourists? I failed to get even a tripod permission (I tried to arrange one per email).
    I mentioned in a pm to Adrian that one of the big regrets of my life is that I was not more involved with photography when I spent a year in Granada while studying at the University of Granada. As a student of the university we had free access to the Alhambra whenever it was open, and my friends and I spent hundreds of hours in the place, often when there were no tourists at all.

It has become increasingly difficult to get tripod access in Spain to places like the Alhambra, the Alcazar in Sevilla, the Mezquita in Cordoba, and even to many of the cathedrals. To get permission you must nearly always go through the local authorities that control the historical site. In Sevilla that would be the municipal government for the Alcazar, or the bishop for the very large cathedral that is there, and for other churches in Spain, and the same is true for the monasteries. And the authority that can give permission is almost never on site so if you hope to use a tripod plan to spend several days getting the permission. I have never had any problem getting permission but I speak fluent Spanish and have a university background and knowledge of Spain that opens up doors that might be closed to others.

I am sure Adrian has a lot of stories about getting access to the Alhambra and avoid the mobs of tourists that one finds there year round.

Would mention also that one of the reasons it is so hard to photograph in the churches today is because they are nearly always closed. Church attendance is very, very low in Spain today and no one attending mass the churches just stay locked most of the time.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon