Got this from a fellow member last year. It does not fit in my toilet dark room! Finally bought a small studio to accommodate it!

Just set it up and as I never saw one in real life, got a bit of issues and may I ask some basic questions here:

a) It comes with Aristo cold light head and my installation as follows:

The cold light head has a label - "Aristo, D-2 HI". I plug the thermo cord to the a transformer (down from Hong Kong's 220v to 110v) and the other plug to a device called "aristo solid state contractor model 1200" and insert this other plug from the cold light head into the outlet labelled something about "to a light source up to 1200w". For the 2 other cables from this solid stat contractor device, one (black) cable to another transformer outlet (110v). The other (grey) cable (marked in the device for connecting to the timer) I plug into a transformer so that I can use my 220v timer to control it. (In one stage I forget and insert that grey cable directly into the 220v timer and lucky no smoke comes out. But I guess I better go through a transformer so that my 220v timer give the 110v to this device).

It seems to work.

In particular, may I confirm that thermo cord is really to the 110v and not somehow get to the timer. Also the black cable is to the 110v and not somehow to a timer.

b) Can this light source be used with RH Design's Zone Master II and/or Stop Clock Professional?

c) The cold head comes with a white opaque material and 2 yellow filters. I guess the opaque one is to put between the light source and the enlarger (it fits perfectly there).

But I am not sure about the 2 yellow filters. Is it just for protection or you need a yellow filter(s) for cold light source? I cannot recall using yellow light bulb though.

d) the cold head is just hang it there. There seems no mechanism to lock it. Is that right?

e) I used IIford Multigrade Paper and also its under-the-lens filter system (00 to 5). But unlike my smaller 6x6 enlarger, this under-the-lens filter mechanism does not fit into lens board for the Beseler system. It seems one can just put the filter like a "red filter". It is not very elegant may I say and not perfect fit as well. Is this the way to use under the iiford under-the-lens filter for Beseler 45?

f) Is there another system one should use when I have time/money to get one?

g) I have found that my (leica screw mount) enlarger lens can be used. However, all the lens board comes with a strange shaped column which when attached to the system will give you a red dot / light projected onto the paper. What is the point of that? Also the 135mm lens come with the enlarger also have something that screw into the lens board, what is that?

h) to project the image horizontally (to the wall), I need some extra support (for the cold light head not falling out) and somehow make the enlarger horizontal. What is the name of these parts?

g) How to make this into a 8x10 enlarger? What parts and light source needed?

h) How to make this into a 4x5 or even 8x10 color enlarger? What parts and light source needed?

Sorry so many questions. The whole things seemed to setup and I am ready to go next week. Just make sure I am on the right track and also prepare myself any next step.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, any advice on using the Beseler 4x5 enlarger would be welcome.

Side questions

1) Also, my easel is too small and what is good easel for this for 16x20.

2) Well, I now also have a CPA and wonder can Jobo do larger than 16x20. If so, how? Its print drum is only 16" circumference (just fit 2 8x10 as I develop using that). If so, what is the recommendation for next size up easel and Jobo print drum?

Dennis Ng