Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durst L1200 Varipoint

Durst L1200 Varipoint

I recently bought one and after bringing it home I couldn't get it to turn on. I checked the power supply because it was humming slightly and found that it was set 110V instead of 115V. I changed it, plugged it back in and tried again, but still nothing. Opened the top and found the bulb was burnt out, but I put in a household bulb and turned it back on to see if the power supply was working, but that bulb didn't turn on either (I don't know if it would).

I did a little bit of research and I guess the bulbs are expensive at around $100, and it seems like it would be a terrible waste of money if the power box is dead anyway.

So my question is, did my test prove that the power supply is dead, and if it is, what are some viable (hopefully inexpensive) options to use my new enlarger?

Re: Durst L1200 Varipoint

Hi Pfeiffer,
    I have L1200 too but not varipoint, my L1200 came with colour head CLS 500 and different power suply, mine is 220V and 24V output and maybe your is 110V - 230V and 12V output. My L1200 came with a smal fan inside but I don't know about varipoint, can you hear a fan sound or slowly wind blow when you turn it on?

I don't know your household voltage but I guess 110V -115V, in my country is 220V. I think your power suply is normal since mine is also humming slighly when I'm turn on my L1200. If your L1200 bulb was burnt out I think you must replace it or you can chek by shake or turning it and if you hear a sound like something sliding your bulb is broken. You household bulb will not turn on in any L1200 because it's different voltage, your household bulb maybe 115V and output volttage from your L1200 is 12V.

You also can check your power suply with special equipment like Multitester or other equipment like your car or bike bulbs or something else as long as it 12V wrote on it.

I think your Durst Power Suply is like other DC Regulated Power Suply 12V, and if your power suply is dead I beiieve you can fix it in the electric service stations near your home or you can replace it with regular DC Regulated Power Suply 12V at least 10 Ampere or more to run out 100watt bulb.

In order to save money & time you should ask your friends or someone else who undestand about electonic stuff.

I assume that you are aware that the varipoint is a point source enlarger which many people find less ideal. I almost bought one very cheap but passed on it after some research. Replacing the bulb might be your best bet if that is the problem but I thought I would mention that Aristo makes a cold light head for the L-1200 which might be nice as well. Here is the link to the Aristo, it looks like Aristo is in the process of updating their page and some of it is still a little funky.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeiffer Duckett View Post
    I recently bought one and after bringing it home I couldn't get it to turn on. I checked the power supply because it was humming slightly and found that it was set 110V instead of 115V. I changed it, plugged it back in and tried again, but still nothing. Opened the top and found the bulb was burnt out, but I put in a household bulb and turned it back on to see if the power supply was working, but that bulb didn't turn on either (I don't know if it would).

I did a little bit of research and I guess the bulbs are expensive at around $100, and it seems like it would be a terrible waste of money if the power box is dead anyway.

So my question is, did my test prove that the power supply is dead, and if it is, what are some viable (hopefully inexpensive) options to use my new enlarger?
    Test results not valid.

As previously pointed out, a slightly humming power supply is not unusual (even on modern equipment). You need to have an electrical person (or a person who knows how to use a volt-ohm meter) test the output of the power supply and compare to the proper output.

This is a relatively specialized enlarger. Even with out the bulb, if the power supply works and you have the special point source condensers, you have a scarce enlarger head that you can sell and possibly purchase the simpler cold light head (point source enlargers require a top of the line lens that can be used wide open and are very fussy to set up). Good luck.

Mike

The bulb is definitely dead, it has some oxidation on the glass like it overheated or the vacuum was compromised, but the filament isn't broken from as far as I can tell. I've read about the Varipoint as well- Very susceptible to dust and scratches, but sharper grain definition? (I think mine was originally for enlarging photographs of bacteria), but that is good news, I have no good reason to think that the power supply is dead anymore. I think I'm going to get a copy of the manual and a bulb so I can try it out at least before I decide whether or not to switch out the head.

It came with the condensers and the femomask and a schneider componon-s so it seems like a shame to not try such high end equipment just because its difficult to set up.

Thanks for all the help!

Pfeiffer,
    As long as the price was good, you're lucky !

I bought a Varipoint with one condensor lens missing for 4x5, cost me $ 1,000, I then bought the other condensor lens, it cost me $600 !!!

I think that I'm in it for the long haul !!

btw where would you buy the bulb for this ?

Thanks,
    Ron

I looked around on the internet and found ithere for only $75. I paid $250 for mine, but it has the arm on the left side broken off and it looks like I'll need to spend some time removing the dust from the condensers. Still a steal- but thats the way darkroom stuff seems to be going...

Red face Re: Durst L1200 Varipoint

I have the Durst Varipoint also and had problems with the bulb. I ordered the "pulamp" bulb from Durst in Italy ($95) that you are supposed to use with it, and the moment I put it in it popped! I wonder if it has to do with European voltage? So I tried the PH211 75 watts (about $5.00) and it works great. It seems to work more like a condenser enlarger with this bulb, but makes beautiful prints. Good luck with yours!

Reviving an old thread here...

I just acquired one of these enlargers in great working shape, but was curious about having a backup bulb. What was the verdict on this? Source?

Anyone out there with knowledge on this?
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Apparently Aristo has these in their scope to produce in the future. Hopefully mine will hold out until then.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...