Thread: hard cases

hard cases

Over the years, I have bought quite a few cameras and lens. I am moving soon, and I am thinking put all these cameras and lens in several hard cases (foam/divide sets/empty), in the future, I will use them for storage purpose. It doesn't have to have wheels. I have a pelican, and a HPRC. Pelican is quite heavy, HPRC is a bit lighter, I am also thinking of storm cases. Any suggestions?

Re: hard cases

Hi Songyun,

whichever brand you go with you'll definately want to get dividers inside. I went down the foam interior route (Explorer cases) and eventually ended up with customised foam interiors that didn't fit when I traded kit in. Dividers also take up much less room inside so you can pack more nice stuff in!

Explorer cases are well made and I like the removable padded bag inserts - worth a look.

Over a long time doesn't the foam degrade and damage the equipment it is protecting? I would think that the fabric wraps that allow some breathing would be the best and you could avoid "cutting and customizing" the foam -- allowing you more versatility with storage.

Once you move, I think a secure cabinet and humidity control is going to be the best, many established photographers build equipment closets with extra climate control and security (or simply use a safe).

The Tenba Roadie rolling case line. I like mine, the Universal one.

I wouldn't use foam for long term storage because when it breaks down it's a mess, and besides moisture can be an issue. For just transporting you can find a variety of sizes of gun cases---these are usually pretty low cost and might be worth looking into. The ones for pistols (briefcase style) might work out---Harbor Frieght has them but I don't know how good their latches/hnges are. I wouldn't want to use a gun case that actually looks like a gun case for obvious reasons, so rifle cases are out.
    Even better for your larger gear are the fiberglass cases you'll find at army surplus outlets used to transport delicate optical or electrical devices.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I used to think the Pelican cases were indestructible until my 1520 airline carry-on suffered a broken latch from a two-foot drop while waiting in line. The gear was well-protected and they sent free replacements but still, it was an issue.... That plastic is super tough in some ways and super brittle in others.

So I'd just buy the cheap ones if I needed that sort of case again.

Thanks everyone,
    Building a equipment closet is out of my reach here, as I might keep moving, not settling down as of now.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

I don't want a purpose built cabinet as I want my various things to be ready to go without the need for thought or preparation. Apart from an old light weight canvas fly fishing bag that does service for a 35mm body, a meter, and two or three lenses, I tend to favour military ammo boxes -- painted regulation white

Thankfully these are now easier to obtain than ever before: you don't have to bother with joining the military or with going into one of those dreadful surplus stores. Here, at least, it can all be done online and everything turns up a day or so later by courier.

Broken down, a 4x5 monorail and lenses (all wrapped in old pillow cases and old sewn up tea towels) fits easily in one of these:

US Military 155 mm Ammo Box (
    http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/items/?itemID=428

These are good for film holders:

50 Calibre Ammo Box
    http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/items/?itemID=36

And a couple of spare 35mm bodies and various lenses all fit in a roughly cube shaped detonator box (ex NZ army) -- though can't find one of these right now.

All of these boxes are designed for heavy loads. Another advantage is that they can be stacked. One could even lie a few 155 mm Ammo Boxes on their side, pile them up, strap them together, and air drop them

Best, Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Underwater Kinetics. Watertight, dust proof, stable, reliable. I never regretted the investment.