Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone uses QTR with 7880?

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

Anyone uses QTR with 7880?

Since I bought this beats couple days ago, I spend my time sitting in front of the computer reading and reading. And as you correctly guessing, questions are starting piling up.

There are so many factors which need to be considered... Print workflow, Icc profiles, Paper, Inks, and of course this related to price, quality, possible problem issues.

Good advice is always appreciated thanks for everyone's input.

My objective is to look for one good printing flow with great looking pictures (85-90%, 100% means money is not an issue) where performance and price are at margin. My flow would be 90% B&W printing - 10% B&W negatives and do to toning such as sepia or dual toning. B&W prints would be almost 100% glossy, not sure if dig negatives must use matt inks or glossy would be fine. Personally, Cone inks seems that have advantage against K3 inks if price is considered, K7 inks too but is there any possible probles issues?. This is a big unknown for me, I couldn't find too much about 7880 and cone or piezo inks. To consider paper, I would like to have one for cool tones and one for warm tones, with proven icc profiles. Epson or Hahnemuhle probably. They sems to be the most mentioned here. Now there are custom print packages as QTR. They seem to increase the printers potential but because of the trird party software, I need more assurance that it is working and bring no issues to printer.

If there are good books around I should read, please let me know.

If my thinking is wrong please let me know, if I should consider anything else, fire away...

Thanks.

Note: Printer is out of warranty so no need to consider this condition.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Re: Anyone uses QTR with 7880?

QTR using it's own printing engine- it basically talks to directly to the printer using GutenPrint/GIMP-Print drivers (GPL). It's unlikely to break your printer or anything like that. The GutenPrint/GIMP-Print print algorithms are likely better than out-of-the-box drivers mainly optimized for color. QTR also includes a whole host of software to make curves and calibrate your printing- which is it's main advantage.

Thanks domaz,

Besides QTR are there are better RIP software packages for reasonable price?
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

QTR is really the only RIP that functions as it does, a single channel driver that lets you set up inks in a way specifically suited to B&W printing. It does not print color. No other RIP will quite do what it does, other RIPs do many other things mostly related to color printing, and high production features.
    Hope that helps.
    Tyler

Dumb question... Can you mix cone color inks with epson inks? I would like to replace Cone inks as epson inks are running empty. Not sure if I can do this.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    Dumb question... Can you mix cone color inks with epson inks? I would like to replace Cone inks as epson inks are running empty. Not sure if I can do this.
    According to Inkjet Mall you can do that with the 3800/3880 so I'm guessing you can with the 7880. Check IJM product page or e-mail them directly.

Don Bryant

I've had good luck with QTR on my 3800. I've been using the Hahnemuhle FB baryta lately and have been very pleased with the tonalities. Using their profile and printing through their driver, I'm getting results that look closer to my monitor than the ABW system. There's a good how-to pdf that comes with the software. Plus, you can work with grayscale images and save some image size, and when you print a series, they will all have a consistent tone. Its proven to be a good system for my workflow.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Why not check on Roy Harrington's QTR web site whether he is supporting the 7880? I seem to recall that Roy told me he is not able to support it because the 7880 uses Epson's new proprietary driver.

Tyler - do you know anything about that?

Also try posting your question on the Yahoo QTR discussion group.

Mike

Thanks everyone, so far I printed using Epson driver, I'm starting to dig into QTR later this week. I came across this document

QTR Workflow

I'm planning to test it tonight, if I can. Still usink K3 inks.
    Last edited by SAShruby; 22-Jul-2010 at 14:36.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca

seems to be on the list of supported printers, so should be fine..
    Tyler