Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences in Beseler 45 Enlargers

Unhappy Differences in Beseler 45 Enlargers

I've been using Omega enlargers for most of my life but I need a second enlarger so I'm considering the Beseler -- just for something different. I'm a little confused about the differences between the various Beseler 45's and two days of Google searching has only made me more so. Can someone please provide a little Beseler 101? Specifically, what are the differences between the 45 MX and 45 MXT? What are the designations for the color heads and did Beseler make a VC head? In advance, thanks for your help!

Marek Warunkiewicz Marek Warunkiewicz's Avatar

Re: Differences in Beseler 45 Enlargers

Try getting a CB7, best enlarger I've ever had, sturdy as hell, adjustable, and you can focus and raise the enlarger up and down from the baseboard. Extra-large condensers and you can get cold-light as well as point-source heads for them. I've used a number of enlargers in my life, from Omegas (which I found not as sturdy unless wall mounted and cross-braced) to Pako, Durst and others. If you aren't going to go larger than 4x5, the CB7 is he nicest enlarger I have ever used. And they do accept the Beseler color heads as well.

I am no expert but I have 3 Beseler enlargers.

The VXL is the largest, most solid enlarger. The center column is huge and heavy. If you have low ceilings, it can create a problem because the column is about 5 feet long. It is my favorite one but is a beast and I need a second person to lift it. It has manual controls although they did make a motorized module for both up/down and focus which was quite expensive.

The 45MXT is the other one. It has the U-shaped design and is smaller. In some ways, it is more "alignable" than the VXL but it is a pain and the instructions were written by a sadist with bad English. It has a motorized carriage to move the lens stage and light source up and down, but the usual manual focus. It was designed to fit their enlarging table which allows you to remove the baseboard and place it in slots that are closer to the floor for larger enlargements. I believe that the chassis and light source can be rotated 90 degrees for projection on the wall, but I have not tried this and don't know how well it retains alignment in that position.

The MX and I think CB models are older versions. The CB has some throwback fans but if you want the smaller model with the U-shaped truss then get the 45MXT which is the latest model.

Beseler also made an 8x10 conversion kit. The kit is adaptable to both the 45MXT and the 45VXL and comes with the necessary hardware for both. When buying used, be careful that it still has the right hardware. The kit contains spacer hardware which pushed the carriage farther from the center column or truss so that the larger sized light source will fit. It also has a big flange which dilates the top section of the carriage so that the 8x10 cold light simply drops in. Also comes with glass negative carrier and a special Beseler glassless carrier similar to the 4x5 Negaflat (but not as easy to use). The 8x10 cold light came in different versions. I think that the version with the serpentine cold light tube provides more even illumination than the one with multiple straight tubes, but I think that the straight tubes are still in production (not sure).

Beseler did not make a specific 4x5 VC light source except for the "Universal" which is a high tech, closed loop, additive system which requires the light source, separate power source, and separate controller. The controller comes in two versions, the color and variable contrast either of which can be plugged in to the system. When buying used, often the three components are separated. It includes its own timer, so it could be used easily for split grade printing or regular printing but I don't think it can be used with a separate timer like the RH Designs timer. I am not certain but I think it requires the integral timer.

The most common 45 Beseler light source for VC printing is the 45S Dichroic light source which is very good. It simply drops into the top of either the 45MXT or 45VXL and plugs into the timer. It has a fan which must be used and plugs in separately. My only complaints are the noise of the fan, heat build-up (compared to a cold light) in the summer in a small darkroom, and numerous light leaks (easily solved with tape). But it is a very good light source.

Alternatives include Aristo cold light, Aristo VC cold light, and the Zone VI VC cold light adapted to Beseler. If I were to pick from those I would definitely pick the Aristo VC cold light but those still command a premium on the used market and Aristo no longer manufactures the bulbs.

Both models use the same negative carriers. The 45 Negaflat might be the best thing Beseler ever made so I would definitely get one of those. I much prefer that to a glass carrier. For medium format I would get the basic negative carrier rather than a Negatrans carrier with anti-Newton glass.

So If I were you, I would get a 45MXT with a Dichro 45S light source unless you commonly make enlargements larger than 16x20 in which case I would go for the 45VXL.

If jerold isn't an expert I don't know who is because he's pretty much covered the field with his excellent summary of the Beseler VXL, MX and MXT enlargers. I'd only add that at some point in the manufacture of the MXT Beseler made a change that made it easier to align. I had that version and don't recall having any trouble with the instructions so possibly jerold has the earlier version. However, I bought the Beseler alignment tool which also may have helped. Unfortunately I can't remember how to distinguish between the two versions. I think the difference may have had something to do with how the lens board is adjusted but I'm not sure.

The Beseler 45A (aka Beseler-Minolta 45A) color head is another light source for the VXL, MX, and MXT enlargers. It and the bulbs for it are no longer made but are occasionally available on ebay. I used it for color and I thought it was an excellent head. It's an additive system that for me was more intuitive than the more common subtractive systems and also has some high-tech features that made printing in color a pleasure. It can also be used for b&w though it's a little slow in that mode (because the red light source is inoperative with b&w). There were three versions of it, the one to buy if you're interested and can find one is the one that is labeled "Beseler," not "Beseler/Minolta."

Also, just to clarify - the Aristo 45VC (actually 45VCL) light source doesn't require an adapter to use on the MX or MXT, only on an Omega. I agree with jerold that this is probably the way to go if you're primarily a b&w photographer and if you can find one and some extra bulbs to go with it. I used it and thought it was a great light source for b&w.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

I forgot about the 45A light source. I thought that was a cool device and incredibly small also. I could not have afforded that back in the day but now they are dirt cheap. The big problem as you pointed out is the out-of-production flash tubes.

As far as alignment goes, I have the Beseler alignment tool and consider that one of the worst devices Beseler ever made. It functions flawlessly in the sense that it confirms the enlarger is out of alignment but is no help in achieving alignment. I picked up a Versalab alignment tool. Takes a learning curve but it is far superior and easier to use. Beseler should have engineered a 3-point alignment system but they didn't so once I get that thing in alignment I don't mess with it. That is partly why I have 3 enlargers rather than the 3 lens turret (junk, don't buy that, too much play in regard to alignment). I have individual enlargers set up for 6x7, 4x5, and 8x10. A bit unwieldy but it works well.

For smaller enlarging lenses (and maybe some 150's?), consider a Delta Bes-Align lens board. These are still made and are inexpensive. They incorporate a 3-screw alignment mechanism for the lens. The unit consists of 2 lensboards sandwiching a flexible spacer/gasket that can be compressed as needed by the 3 Allen set screws to achieve alignment. I called them and asked if I could special order one that would have a larger opening to accommodate my Schneider Apo-Componon 150mm lens (or a Rodagon) and he said no problem. However, I tried to contact the guy several times after that with no repsonse so I gave up. At one time, Zone VI made a similar item which is somewhat rare but pops up used occasionally.

I might have mentioned that the 8x10 adapter is only part of the solution for enlarging 8x10 negatives on a Beseler 45MXT or 45VXL. Attaching an appropriate lens is the other part of the equation. Beseler sold a Rodenstock manufactured 240mm/f9 lens that is really some sort of graphic arts lens maximized for use at f22. Apparently it is OK but I bought one used and it is the only lens I ever bought that "didn't work." The damn thing simply would not focus and nearly drove me insane trying to figure it out. Fortunately, I paid almost nothing for it. Then I was very fortunate to obtain a regular Rodagon 240mm enlarging lens but that is too large to fit on a regular Beseler lens board. The only option is to ship the lens to SK Grimes with a Beseler lens board and they magically attach it so that it works well. That takes a couple of months and a couple of hundred dollar bills to happen. So I have the 8x10 up and running, but have been distracted with other projects and have not generated much satisfaction from the 8x10 format yet. But winter is coming so lots of darkroom time. Despite these issues with the 8x10 conversion, I think Beseler is the way to go for 4x5 because you will almost certainly be tempted to go 8x10 some day and your only hesitation will be the confinement of contact printing. So Beseler has some advantages as other dedicated 8x10 enlargers are larger and weigh more than some cars.

Smile Re: Differences in Beseler 45 Enlargers

Great stuff, gentlemen. Thank you!

The Beseler nomenclature is....
    M= Motorized elevation.
    X= X shaped reinforcing rear struts.
    C= Originally came with condenser head, with filter drawer.
    R= Originally came with Resistrol (an adjustable dimmer for the enlarging lamp)
    T= Turret ready (the newest lens stage & untapered square focusing bellows) These are improved for focussing & more adjustable for alignment.
    D= Originlly came with a Dichroic color head.

The CB-7 was the top of the line chassis with power focus, elevation and a built in timer, all controlled from the front of the baseboard (could be opperated from a sitting position)

They're all good & affordable. Use the same neg carriers.
    Last edited by dsphotog; 6-Sep-2010 at 12:51.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Eric Woodbury

BTW, the 210mm El Nikkor enlarging lens does cover 8x10 and will fit on a lensboard in a normal way except you have to file the edges off the mounting ring.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Eric Woodbury

Jerold, wow. That is a good link. I wonder if I could fit one of those CB's into my darkroom.

I've modified my 45M so many times, that I have many of those features, but it was a pain to do. I've added

filter holder
    lens tilt
    lens swing
    head swing

and maybe the best, a light so I could see my f/# on the enlarging lens
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com