Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in starting a SE Michigan LF Group 2010?

Re: Any interest in starting a SE Michigan LF Group 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I was working in the train station (and did some shooting) last month for the job I'm on. Pieces of concrete randomly fall off the ceiling. Transformers 3 is/was supposed to film there as well. Great place but not safe, and not easy to get into since they board it up when not in use.
    Vinny,

You didn't just happen to pick up some slides at Titan today did you? I ask because I was in there to pick up some slides and they said I just missed someone who just shot a bunch at the station...

So any tips on how to get proper access there?

As an aside, this Sunday's weather is looking pretty good if anyone wants to get together to shoot somewhere.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by threefoot View Post
    Vinny,

You didn't just happen to pick up some slides at Titan today did you? I ask because I was in there to pick up some slides and they said I just missed someone who just shot a bunch at the station...

So any tips on how to get proper access there?

As an aside, this Sunday's weather is looking pretty good if anyone wants to get together to shoot somewhere.

Charlie
    I was at Titan last week, and I did have some stuff from there. Small world?
    I'll talk to our locations people to see if I can get a contact #. We had to sign a waiver before we entered the place, very strange.

Good luck getting proper access to the train station - the owner isn't interested. However, getting in is pretty easy to do.

Same with access to Cranbrook - when I tried I was told I was welcome to pay the $500 day use fee. Luckily I was able to shoot there for the Art Deco Society last year.

So I heard today that transformers shot their earlier this week and had the ceiling of the entire place netted for safety.

Interesting ... I assume they will leave that up when they go. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Belle Isle would be a good place. The morning is the best time. I have photographed in the Horticulture Building. We could also try to get into the aquarium I might have a contact for that building. The inside is all Pewabic Tile. There are a lot of good nature parks if people like to photograph nature. I teach a class in Woodland Hills in Farmington Hills the park has a lot of interesting trees and plant.

I can do Belle Isle this Sunday morning and I would love to meet you guys. As for shooting Cranbrook, I have shot architectural projects there commercially, and even with letters from people in authority and notice that I was comming, I had guards approaching me every few hours asking what I was doing. I was told by one of them that the tripod was what typically alerted security. He said they typically don't bother hand camera users, but they assume that tripod users are probably professionals and get interested in the purpose of the photos. A good friend of mine is the campus architect there- I will see what it would take to get permission. They certainly gave Korab free access for many years, but he had a special relationship with them:

http://www.balthazarkorab.com/

Cranbrook is a beautiful place to shoot - lots of great architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfnphotography View Post
    Belle Isle would be a good place. The morning is the best time. I have photographed in the Horticulture Building. We could also try to get into the aquarium I might have a contact for that building. The inside is all Pewabic Tile. There are a lot of good nature parks if people like to photograph nature. I teach a class in Woodland Hills in Farmington Hills the park has a lot of interesting trees and plant.
    Belle Isle sounds like it would be nice ... horticulture building or aquarium sound interesting. I would like to try that.
    I may give that a try if anyone else is interested. Or if not i will probably hit Port Huron this weekend as it offers Rivers, lake, bridges, lighthouse, beaches, freighters.

Quote Originally Posted by David E. Rose View Post
    I can do Belle Isle this Sunday morning and I would love to meet you guys. As for shooting Cranbrook, I have shot architectural projects there commercially, and even with letters from people in authority and notice that I was comming, I had guards approaching me every few hours asking what I was doing. I was told by one of them that the tripod was what typically alerted security. He said they typically don't bother hand camera users, but they assume that tripod users are probably professionals and get interested in the purpose of the photos. A good friend of mine is the campus architect there- I will see what it would take to get permission. They certainly gave Korab free access for many years, but he had a special relationship with them:

http://www.balthazarkorab.com/
    David,
    I can do Belle Isle this Sunday morning also. Anyone else? If you want to PM me time and place,as I am not sure where on the island anything is. If you want to PM me I can also give my cell number to coordinate meeting time and place.

Regards,
    Charlie
    PS if you could ever put together a Cranbrook opportunity that would be awesome.