Thread: Nikkor-W 240/5.6 vs Schneider and Rodenstock

Nikkor-W 240/5.6 vs Schneider and Rodenstock

I need opinion in getting one of these lenses. A Nikkor-W 240/5.6, Schneider syr ma 240/5.6 and Rodenstock Sironar-N 240/5.6. Thanks

Beverly Hills, California

If this is for 4x5 use, my 2cents is to say: The winner is the Fujinon A Series, 240mm f9! (Call Badger Graphics for excellent price)

That's like asking which you should buy a Ford or a Chevy.All three lenses are first rate products from first rate companies,with basicallthe same design.The prices are within 10% of each other.I really cannot see one of these lenses meeting a need that the others could not.Go for the best deal.I'd probably buy a Fuji as Mr Noble suggested or a G-Claron as I prefer lighter lenses.Good shooting

The 240 f9 Fuji A (Apo), great lens! Check with Jim at Midwest Photo.Website is Mpex.com . Better prices on Fuji than anywhere.

All three manufacturers make excellent lenses--Fuji does also. You won't go wrong with a lens from any of the big four.

The Nikkor-W and the Sironar-N are current multicoated lenses. You are less clear on the Schneider: is it a Symmar, a Symmar-S or an Apo-Symmar? The Symmar is quite old and not in the same class as the others. The Symmar-S is more recent but no longer made. I think the Symmar-S be either single-coated or multi-coated, depending on age. Multicoated Schneider lenses are clearly labeled as being multicoated. If the Schneider is not multicoated, and the price isn't much better, I would go for one of the multicoated lenses. The Apo-Symmar is the current model and has always been multicoated.

Some of the other posters are suggesting the Fuji-A or Schneider G-Glaron. These are fine lenses too, but slower, at f9. You need to decide which is more important, small and light or a fast aperture for composing and focusing. The G-Clarons are single-coated, while recent Fuji-A's are multicoated.

Don't agonize about which to buy--all of these lenses are excellent and are sharper than the lenses used by great photographers of decades past.

I started with Schneider glass and eventually migrated to Nikon as I upgraded. I cannot tell the difference. Basically I bought whatever was available on the us ed market and Nikon always seemed to be available. A former Sinar manuf rep (with many years selling LF and orginally from Europe) said all three were more or less equal.