Thread: Filters for an Omega Pro Lab Universal 4x5?

Filters for an Omega Pro Lab Universal 4x5?

I've had a really hard time finding anything about this enlarger through Google. I picked it up for free on Craigslist a while back, and am trying to put together the odds and ends I need to get it up and running part-time in the bathroom/darkroom. I'm not sure whether I can get an above-the-lens filter drawer (perhaps from the D series?), or if I'll need to go the below-the-lens route. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the Universal? Here's a picture I took of it when I first got it (cold light head looks to be a no-go, light source diffusion is really uneven. Luckily it also has a standard lamp/condenser as well).

Omega Pro-Lab Universal! by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Here's one I just took with the door popped open, apologies for the quality (dodged the heck out of the shadows in PS)

Re: Filters for an Omega Pro Lab Universal 4x5?

I cut a filter holder out of mat board and used standard 6x6 filters in it. The filter holder fit on the top of the negative holder and was a traced cutout. If that is a variable condenser head you have no problem. If you need a variable condenser head I have one cheap and you can place a filter like mine in one of the slots inside.

I just lay the 6x6 VC filters on the upper condensor, no need for filter holders. The only thing I miss is having a red filter under the lens with the three lens turret in place.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Thanks guys, I'm going to follow your lead and go the DIY route Are either of you also Universal users, or is it just a standard technique?

I don't see the set of two fixed condensers that are part of this enlarger. They fit inside of the aluminum collar that would alternately hold the cold light and are spaced apart by another collar of corrugated metal.

Also, does you cold light have its translucent plastic diffuser?

Looks like you have an Omega D2 (Google that). All the D series condenser heads were pretty similar. That condenser head is from the PRO LAB enlarger, but it is the same as a regular D2 head with a different name plate. Looks like you are missing the lower condenser assembly right?

You say the cold light is uneven. Do you have the diffuser plate for it?

Here is an article on the D2: http://www.shutterbug.net/techniques...g/1099sb_long/

Email harry_g_taylor@sbcglobal.net. He IS Mr. Omega and can both fill in the blanks and likely supply any parts you need.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg