Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafmatic - Worth trying?

Re: Grafmatic - Worth trying?

I used to drool when the other press photographers were using Grafmatics and film packs. Back then I couldn't afford the prices so I was committed to the two sided holders. If I recall, a Grafmatic at 1960 prices was close to $200.

Now I have five of the 4x5 holders and two of the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 holders. They are especially handy if you are using rangefinder/viewfinder as you would for press photography. It is slightly more cumbersome if you are using the ground glass because you must be sure the film is covered before removing the Grafmatic.

I recommend performing some dry trials so that you get the procedure down. I.e. open and close the dark slide to move the film into position. After the exposure, again move the film housing out and in by pressing the button by the handle in order to transfer the exposed sheet to the bottom of the pack.

Do not inadvertently remove the Grafmatic until you have performed this second operation! Get used to this procedure before loading film. If the sheet is unexposed, note its position so that it can be saved, rather than developing a blank sheet, and reloaded the next time.
    al

I have three 4x5 and four new 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, what I like about the "23" is they fit in my Busch 23. I changed the spring back out to a Graflex back so I remove the screen and put a "23" on and use the Kalart to focus. It's super to use that way, with four I have 24 sheets. I have a collection of 2 1/4 film holders too which I collected over a couple of years, I wanted new ones as the camera is like new.

Go for it they are nice to use and you won't be disappointed.

Curt

How 'bout Bag Mags?

Okay, let me ask you all this: What's the consensus on the 12-shot bag mags?

Don't know about the bag mags, but I can certainly put in a plug for the 10-shot Kinematics. If your back is tight with a Grafmatic, they are probably not for you as they are a hair thicker. But, having 2/3 more film in essentially the same size package is a definite plus.

Never heard of that one, Chauncey. Wouldn't want to sell one, wouldja?

Stefan

Why is nobody making a modern copy of Grafmatics? Or maybe there is, but Im missing it? China or elsewhere does not matter.

Grafmatics are not easy to find in Europe, and buying from US eBay means paying high shipping costs, then customs fees for both the product and the shipping. The Grafmatics are old and many were probably heavily used, Id be worried about holder or septums being out of alignment, and returning would be expensive.

How about a modern Shen Hao Grafmatic copy with 8 sheet capacity for say, 100$ ?

made from wood

No, Scott, I've only been able to scrape up 3. The last one has a funny story. I was looking at it in a shop and the salesperson says it came with instructions. I looked at the instructions and they were ones copied off the web - ones I had posted years ago! I should say also that I have lots of Grafmatics, but never enough. Our local market was flooded with them years ago when the Air Force photo school closed. Going price was $35;-)

Frank, I would rather have them out of titanium - stronger, and lighter! (Maybe a faux wood finish.)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I'm guessing that a Chinese copy would run about $600, the same price as one of the quality roll film backs. The market would then drop off after maybe 100 of them had been sold, and that would be it. Six new Toyo holders are $300, so you would be spending 2x for the convenience of a six-sheet holder.

Is it still worth it?