Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: International 4x5 E6 & B&W (TMAX) Processing - Recommendations

Re: International 4x5 E6 & B&W (TMAX) Processing - Recommendations

On a different note, yesterday I was at the museum in Invercargill where there are some diptych 20x24 contact prints (I think) hanging by a fellow, Adams, working with Ngai Tahu. Anybody know where he could be tracked down.

David

Elevator, my lab does process Black & White and C41. Unfortunately we are not set up to do small orders, basically the shipping , customs and handling , is more than I want to handle at this time, it really is a pain in the butt and we are too small of an operation to fill this kind of market.
    We do work with international clients , by bulk processing film for ongoing projects that we are expected to print.
    The film processing side of our business is only for those few, and of course ourselves(we shoot a shit load of film every year).

This may change over the next few years , and we may find a way to satisfy mail order clients abroad in a timely/efficient manner, but at this moment in time we need to be realistic, and not search out this work.

A very big problem for us is our Jobo's which for years handled every situation that we threw at them.. Now you cannot find parts in any timely/cost efficient way , no matter what anyone here or on any other site may say, We have bought 4 Alt 2300 's over the last two years on the used market as each one dies out . We are presently now buying our fifth. This makes Elevator crazy, as we cannot predict day to day consistancey that we built this business on over twenty years of processing for photographers.

We have been researching and building designs for our own processors that have ready off the shelf parts and maintained easily. We are close to having this Jobo problem solved but for now are not interested in mail order film.
    Since the founders of our lab both shoot film and love working with film we will be in the long term game of processing film, if not only for our own selfish needs and a few of our clients thats still appreciate film.

I imagine any lab that is offering single one shot , non replenished film processing is in the same boat as us , or will soon be and need to find solutions for a decent rotary processor that one can purchase new and find parts on a ongoing basis.
    All the big Refrema labs are seeing dwindling runs and at a certain point keeping these big machines in line becomes a crap shoot. We have seen time and time again, labs just saying no more film process and moving on.

The film that comes to me internationally is usually hand delivered by the photographer or his/her agent, how is Fedx, UPs and other vendors treating film going on their planes?? is there a xray policy?
    not sure how safe it is for the original OP sending film from NZ to the states.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    On a different note, yesterday I was at the museum in Invercargill where there are some diptych 20x24 contact prints (I think) hanging by a fellow, Adams, working with Ngai Tahu. Anybody know where he could be tracked down.

David
    This the fellow?

Mark Adams
    http://www.thearts.co.nz/artist_page.php&aid=58

I gave a few details here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...%22#post631092

The Arts Foundation page mentions that he works out of Studio La Gonda in K Road, Auckland, but also says that he lives in Oxford, Te Wai Pounamu (NZ South Island). Well Oxford is where I'm holed up and although I recently saw his Moa Bone Cave Diptych down the road at a PhotoForum exhibition I'm yet to see him at the supermarket

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Thanks for that. They were good photographs but I think I will stick with 5x7 and 4x5 for now. The mind boggles when you think about carrying such a large camera around. Clicking the shutter, if he has one, must be the ultimate in finality. No second chances, no ability to make any modification. You would not want to mess up development as I am fond of doing. I wonder what he is using as a lens?

Peak Imaging in the UK have always done a good job with my LF and MF film. I have never had a single glitch on the postage - including return of my 4x5 film boxes as asked - and the packaging survives international mail in good order.

Their proof prints have acquired a more contrasty, digital look in recent years, but they're still miles better than the much more expensive 'pro' labs I try from time to time here in Sweden.

www.peak-imaging.com

Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post
    Richard,

Here are a few more Sydney options that you could investigate if required:

Vision Graphics at St Leonards in Nth Sydney

The Lighthouse Lab - run by Stephen Frizza who frequents this and the LF Info forums.

I haven't used Stephen Frizza so cant comment either way. I use Vision Graphics for my small quantity of 4x5 and 120 E6 because I can drop off/collect film at a place near my place of work in the City (I process my own B&W). I've always been happy with their quality/service/price.

Hope this helps
    I give all of my colour (B&W I do myself) to Stephen Frizza and I would recommend his lab to anyone who cares to listen. 4x5 is $6 a sheet for E6 or C41 dip and dunk and he will do B&W by hand in any dev you nominate. He also prints on RA4 and Ilfocolor up to 50" wide. Send him an email at steve@thelighthouselab.com