Thread: Copy lightroom photos & processing to another computer

Copy lightroom photos & processing to another computer

I got back from a trip recently. While I was there I processed a bunch of photos on my laptop using lightroom. How would I go about copying the photos and the processing history for each to my main workstation so I can continue with them further?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Re: Copy lightroom photos & processing to another computer

I believe this will answer your question:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php?topic=10772.0

Import them as a catalog and copy them to the location on your other PC.
    Juergen

I think Juergen means export as catalog ;-/. Be sure to check 'Export negative files'. Transfer folder that LR creates to your desktop, then import to desktop and import.

Did you shoot new photos on the trip? If not, don't check export neg files. All the work you do in LR is stored as metadata - you're not changing the actual image information, just the development settings, so you don't need the negative files. The changes you've made are stored in the lightroom catalog, or written into the dng files (I think). In any case if you haven't added new photos, you don't need the neg files.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_lipkin View Post
    I think Juergen means export as catalog ;-/. Be sure to check 'Export negative files'. Transfer folder that LR creates to your desktop, then import to desktop and import.

Did you shoot new photos on the trip? If not, don't check export neg files. All the work you do in LR is stored as metadata - you're not changing the actual image information, just the development settings, so you don't need the negative files. The changes you've made are stored in the lightroom catalog, or written into the dng files (I think). In any case if you haven't added new photos, you don't need the neg files.
    Sweet thanks that what I needed to know. I knew the edits & the original files were two separate entities. I didn't know how to get them both over to the new computer. Thanks again for the info.

Either Export as catalog and then Import from catalog in the destination computer, or convert to DNG in laptop, select all and SaveMetadataToFiles and move with the Fonder from one computer to the other one. If you choose the first option be sure to select Include Neg Files, otherwise you are leaving behind your originals in the laptop.
    Sergio

My website