Thread: Best way to scan this irregular negative on V750?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best way to scan this irregular negative on V750?

My sister picked up an old slide that she wanted me to scan, so she could have it printed out as a poster. It's from one of the older oddball (to me, anyways) LF sizes, it looks to measure about 9cm x 7.5cm (it's hard to tell exactly because it's mounted and has a border around it). It appears to be a hand-colored B&W negative from the 1930's.

What's the best way to go about this? I have access to a V750 at work, but I've never tried a slide behind glass. I was thinking about taking it out of the mount to make sure I'm not getting any glare, reflection, or other image degradation from the glass, but I don't think I'd be able to get it back in nicely, and I'm not sure how the hand-coloring will hold up. Thoughts?

Re: Best way to scan this irregular negative on V750?

Have you tried scanning it as a positive using "film area guide" yet? I would also check the "Color Restoration" box in EpsonScan. You shouldn't have any problems scanning this, it should be very straight forward. I see no reason to dismount it. If you have any problems you are welcome to email me directly with questions: creating digitization workflows for historical materials is my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Have you tried scanning it as a positive using "film area guide" yet? I would also check the "Color Restoration" box in EpsonScan. You shouldn't have any problems scanning this, it should be very straight forward. I see no reason to dismount it. If you have any problems you are welcome to email me directly with questions: creating digitization workflows for historical materials is my day job.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try! What do you recommend for cleaning the glass of the slide off?

Just clean it like a lens. A couple drops in the middle, swirl outward with the cleaning cloth.