Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAYI 4x5 camera

Re: DAYI 4x5 camera

Heeey, they also offer one for Sinar backs Argh used my tax refund already
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Cool Re: DAYI 4x5 camera

I find that strange...I've had the Gaeorsi for quite some time now. I outfitted it with the fotoman viewer and use the 612 shown earlier in the thread. Whether landscapes or urban decay I hyper focal and almost never use the GG for focus other than an occasional calibration at home. Using both the Schneider 58XL and a separate cone for the 110XL. I switch between 4x5 and 612 often, some times the same shoot. The system works like a charm, never a problem. The foot fits easily in my Really right stuff quick release also, very secure at half pressure.
    Maybe I just got a good one.

davidbogdan

I can't speak for the quality of the Gaoersi as I've never seen one. However, there is at least one real advantage of the DaYi...well it's an advantage as long as the rest of the camera isn't junk.

The DaYi offers front rise and fall with all lenses, not just the superwides. Granted, with longer lenses the amount of rise (19mm I think) is a bit lacking. But I'd rather have some rise than none.

I bought a Horseman 4x5 back for a good price the other day from Ebay. Assuming it arrives safely I'll order the Horseman version of the DaYi (they come in versions taking several backs; Sinar, Horseman, Toyo and I think Wista).

Now I just need to decide on getting one lens (most likely a 150mm) or two (probably a 120/135 and 210 combo)...

I'll mostly use it for aerials but I can see other uses too, like where tripods are prohibited, when I need to work super-fast for some reason or in heavy wind where a solid camera could do better than one with bellows.

Assuming I go through with it, I'll post my opinions about the camera once I get it.

Well, in case anyone is wondering about the DaYi, I pulled the trigger and ordered one with a 150mm lens cone. Since it's a custom cone I was told it could take a few weeks, but I'll report back with a mini-review once I get and try out the camera.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

I have wondered how these are as a hand holdable camera - so I am looking forward to your review - by the way, is that the Horseman back I sold you?

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    I have wondered how these are as a hand holdable camera - so I am looking forward to your review - by the way, is that the Horseman back I sold you?
    Yes it is. I got the back yesterday and it's great, thanks! I left good feedback for you.

I'm curious too so I'll be sure to post.