Thread: Palmerston Nth, NZ in July - What to capture on film?

Palmerston Nth, NZ in July - What to capture on film?

OK, I'm more a South Island kind of guy, but family obligations mean I'll be spending a week in Palmerston North and environs in July. Flying in/out of Wellington and driving to/from P Nth.

Any suggestions on things to do/see/capture on film???

Thanks in advance.

Re: Palmerston Nth, NZ in July - What to capture on film?

I've just moved away from Palmy after living there for 6 years, so I am fairly familiar with the location.

The windmills can be quite spectacular, especially in inclement weather, and its a good drive up there.

The Manawatu Gorge can also look quite fetching in the right weather. I suggest you do the Manawatu gorge track, or at least some of it, the start has a nice stream and a bit furthur on there are some rather nice trees if you are in to that sort of thing.

My favourite place to go for photos in the area is Foxton Beach, its 35km drive from Palmy, and during a windy winter sunset its awesome, and usually empty of people, just be prepared for everything to get full of sand. This is great chance for shooting a wrapped up model.

There is some nice farmland out behind Fielding on SH 54 if you like that kind of thing, it will be planty green in June, it contrasts nicely with the sky on a fine day.

There is a nice brick church just on the corner of the square in town next to the post office that I have been meaning to shoot for a while. With some front rise and a ~90mm lens on 4x5 it would be shot well from across the road.

The esplanade has some nice gardens and a rather cool hot-house that is open during the middle of the day I think, some cool exotic plants in there, and you usually have the place to yourself, nice to visit on a winters day.

Thats it for now, If I think of anything else Ill post it in here. Does the family you are visiting have anything to do with the university?

EDIT: This person has a couple of good photos for sale that were taken in the area: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=2988128

JRFrench, thanks for the various heads-up. I'll be sure to check out some of the locations you suggest (family commitments permitting...). Keep 'em coming!

No connection with the university (that I am aware of). My parents have retired to P Nth from Dunedin (my hometown) and my sister lives there - hence my constant reference to P Nth - I grew up knowing the small town towards the other end of SH1 as Palmerston...

Nice photos on that site as well

Thanks again.

I'm not too familiar with Palmy, but it's a good location for some day trips if you can manage the time.

If you can get a whole day to yourself and feel inclined to get up early, a drive north to the Central Plateau can be a very rewarding experience, especially for the sunrise. If you can't get quite that amount of time, the Rangitikei river which somewhat follows SH1 is gorgeous, and the farmland to the north of Fielding as James already suggested, can make for a nice round trip. Another possible day trip can be heading west along SH3 towards and beyond Wanganui also has some really nice farmland, the coast by Patea is really gorgeous and rugged, and there's some beautiful rural churches too.

Chris, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to explore at least some of them (commitments and weather permitting). Any preferences as to which options I should give priority to?

Cheers and thanks again.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. The visit went well and I even got to escape the family obligations and spend some time with my camera...

Here's one image I made while over there:

Trees, Ridgeview Rd, Palmerston North, New Zealand
    135/f5.6 Apo-Sironar-S on Linhof Super Tech IV
    Ilford FP4+ in Rodinal 1+50

(I've also posted this in the "Trees" thread so apologies for the duplication.)

I also enjoyed a visit to Himatangi Beach to watch the sun set on a rather bleak windy winter's evening. Have developed but haven't yet had an opportunity to print the resulting images. I may post them later.

Cheers