Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Tripod Advice

Re: First Tripod Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I'd love to see an example of a cold- or otherwise shattered Carbon-Fiber tripod.
    I broke my Feisol's head. I had the tripod splayed out to get it low to the ground, and after the shot I tried to use it to help me stand. Stupid, stupid.

The carbon fiber legs are fine. But the metal cap on one of the legs cracked and the head, where this leg cap was attached, broke into three pieces.

Before my bone-headed move the Fiesol served me well. Now I'm back to my trusty (and forgiving) Tilt-All.

Quote Originally Posted by b.cipolla View Post
    Anyone have any experience with a Gitzo G1228, GT2330 or GT2530? I thought the G1228 might look a little too flimsy. Again, I have a Wisner Traditional.
    Earlier, I mentioned a Feisol CT-3371 and that is still what I would recommend. I have the G-1228 MK II and it is too light to be a reliable tripod for a Wisner 4x5.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...288#post531288

SF Bay Area 94303

I have a 40 year old Tiltall. Still going. I also have a Majestic, overkill for 4X5 but great for that 8X10 you will eventually get.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Barber View Post
    Earlier, I mentioned a Feisol CT-3371 and that is still what I would recommend. I have the G-1228 MK II and it is too light to be a reliable tripod for a Wisner 4x5.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...288#post531288
    Are the RAL Anti-Rotation Legs necessary?

www.reallybigcameras.com

No. It's a convenience feature that makes it faster and easier to set-up and collapse the tripod legs. You can read more on the advantages of RAL Anti-Rotation Legs here.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

I do not have them, so I really do not know enough about them to say. Main thing is to always start at the bottom and go up to loosen and at the top and go down to tighten the collars on each leg and not to over tighten them.

OK, I've settled on the Traditional Feisol CT-3371 with center column now I just need to pick a tripod head. In the past, I've only used a 3-way head. I'm thinking about a geared head to cut down on the size of a pan-tilt head. I've never used a ball head before but I like being able to adjust each axis independently. Any recommendations?

Also, I definitely want a quick release system too.

the manfrotto 410 looks nice but maybe a little too expensive?

I use the Manfrotto 410 on the 3771 legs (but no column) and it works very well for me. There are a couple of concerns.

1) The pitch knob quickly interferes with the top plate of the tripod as you tilt the camera up and soon limits that movement. To get around this limit, I shorten the rear tripod leg to point the platform itself up. This problem may not occur with the Feisol center column.

2) Much of the weight of the 3771 is at the top of the legs. The not insubstantial weight of the Manfrotto 410 makes the combination fairly top heavy. Except to make it a little awkward when carrying it, I have yet to have this cause any real problem.

I love the 410 head and will happily put up with these problems.