Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First fluid mounted scans...question

First fluid mounted scans...question

About to scan a bunch of 4x5 trannys using the Epson V750 and Epson scan. The prints will be 20x30 printed at 254 dpi. So I will set the target size in Epson scan but a little confused about what to set as the resolution. I see a lot of users scan at 2200 dpi but there is no way my pc can handle file sizes like that. Besides, the image is to be down rezzed anyway?
    I guess I am tring to figure out a workable resolution to use that will not slow the computer down to a snails pace.

Re: First fluid mounted scans...question

There was a lot of discussion on a recent thread about how it is possible (but not proven beyond a shadow of a doubt) that the native resolution of the Epson scanners is 1600 and that really scanning at anything higher is not going to get you much if anything.

I did my own experiments and found that scanning at 1600 and UPSIZING in photoshop to 2400 was actually sharper than scanning at 2400. Your mileage may vary.

You need to read all of this thread for the full story...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=63718

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    There was a lot of discussion on a recent thread about how it is possible (but not proven beyond a shadow of a doubt) that the native resolution of the Epson scanners is 1600 and that really scanning at anything higher is not going to get you much if anything.

I did my own experiments and found that scanning at 1600 and UPSIZING in photoshop to 2400 was actually sharper than scanning at 2400. Your mileage may vary.

You need to read all of this thread for the full story...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=63718
    He is scanning 4x5. He should be using the hi res system. It works quite well but focus is different for each machine. He must find his best focus height before anything else.

I've never scanned on my glass as I have a 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    About to scan a bunch of 4x5 trannys using the Epson V750 and Epson scan. The prints will be 20x30 printed at 254 dpi. So I will set the target size in Epson scan but a little confused about what to set as the resolution. I see a lot of users scan at 2200 dpi but there is no way my pc can handle file sizes like that. Besides, the image is to be down rezzed anyway?
    I guess I am tring to figure out a workable resolution to use that will not slow the computer down to a snails pace.
    I generally scan at 3200 spi on my Epson V700. The 340 Mb files are small enough to not be a problem and large enough to print pretty big. I just do 16x20 myself. You have a bit less than 15000x12000 to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    He is scanning 4x5. He should be using the hi res system. It works quite well but focus is different for each machine. He must find his best focus height before anything else.

I've never scanned on my glass as I have a 4x5.
    It doesn't matter what you are scanning. If the scanners highest native resolution is 1600, going higher is just going to interpolate, like upsizing in Photoshop.

Did you read the whole thread? Tim Parkin only does 4x5 and found the same thing.

I generally scan at 3200 spi on my Epson V700. The 340 Mb files are small enough to not be a problem and large enough to print pretty big. I just do 16x20 myself. You have a bit less than 15000x12000 to play with.
    I must be missing something basic. Does a 16x20 file at 3200 not weigh in at over 9 gigs? How do you get 340 megs?
    Last edited by coops; 10-Aug-2010 at 19:34. Reason: spelling error

It doesn't matter what you are scanning. If the scanners highest native resolution is 1600, going higher is just going to interpolate, like upsizing in Photoshop.

Did you read the whole thread? Tim Parkin only does 4x5 and found the same thing.
    You have no idea how many times we've been through this. Maybe search this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I must be missing something basic. Does a 16x20 file at 3200 not weigh in at over 9 gigs? How do you get 340 megs?
    B&W. I should have said that. It's true this about trannys. We are scanning 4x5 in this thread.

You have no idea how many times we've been through this. Maybe search this forum.
    I tested the 1600 dpi theory using 8x10 and MF 6x7 on my scanner myself.

I tested the 1600 dpi theory using 8x10 and MF 6x7 on my scanner myself.
    I have a scanner too. I have tested my 35mm and my 4x5. I am confident mine at least is very near focus.

There is actual improvement up to 6400 spi but it's not much. 3200 spi works for me quite well.