Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labs in NJ / NYC Area?

ARS KC2UU

Labs in NJ / NYC Area?

Greetings everyone:

This may not be a new question but probably one that can be asked again due to the ever-changing status of operating photo-processing labs.

I've been using a local lab in northern NJ for some time for all my E6, C41, and B&W film processing. The owner gave me a heads-up yesterday that the business is faltering and may need to close. (No surprise there).

If so it will be the demise of the last remaining lab in NJ (I believe). And one that I can pass-by easily any day on my work commute with a short side-trip.

So. From others in the NJ/NYC area - are there any suggestions where I should try if my NJ lab does close? Making a trip into NYC periodically with film is an option. Or even mailing if necessary. I have no desire or facility to set up an area at home to do my own processing.

My work is all 120-rolls and 4x5-inch sheets.

Suggestions are welcome. Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Duggal's in nyc is the first name that comes to mind. They're high-end and do just about everything. Google them. Where were you going in NJ, b.t.w.?

Re: Labs in NJ / NYC Area?

LTI on West 3oth Street

TPI in Fairfied, NJ

Just waiting to be developed..

I second LTI. They are the best lab in NYC!
    Ive been using them for years and they are the nicest people to work with. If your in the city, i would stop by and check them out.
    Their E6, C41 and B&W dip n dunk processing is top notch. They also offer a custom C41 process that eliminates mottling.
    Its a little more expensive but worth it if you have a lot of sky or solid colors. They also have a LightJet!
    Their color and B&W printers are miracle workers.

Upstairs, Eric (the owner) has created an alternative process school. I took a wet plate class a few moths ago and it was great!
    Its called The Center for Alternative Photograph.

LTI is located at 34 east 30th st between Park and Madison, 212.685.6871.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Bob (OP),

I'm in Bergen Cty - I used to use a pro lab in Paramus that I think closed long ago. I was going to ask Bergen County Camera in Westwood about C-41 processing of 120 and 4x5 - I don't think they do it in house, and they're not too convenient for me but better than nothing. What lab do you use - perhaps if more business goes his way, he can stay afloat.

Bob (HP) - Do you have contact info for TPI - I work nearby to Fairfield - they might work for me.

Dan

ARS KC2UU

Thanks for the tip Ian.

Yes my last few sheets of Ektar 100 4x5 had some mottling in the sky and I was wondering why. I've only started doing C41 in 4x5-inch recently. Almost all my previous work has been E6.

I was not aware of the mottling problem and thinking perhaps it was the horrendous humidity and wet weather out in the heartland last week where I was shooting. I keep film in a cooler in zip-lock bags but still thinking some condensation might have occurred.

Much appreciated. Cheers. Bob G.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMazursky View Post
    I second LTI. They are the best lab in NYC!
    Ive been using them for years and they are the nicest people to work with. If your in the city, i would stop by and check them out.
    Their E6, C41 and B&W dip n dunk processing is top notch. They also offer a custom C41 process that eliminates mottling.
    Its a little more expensive but worth it if you have a lot of sky or solid colors. They also have a LightJet!
    Their color and B&W printers are miracle workers.

Upstairs, Eric (the owner) has created an alternative process school. I took a wet plate class a few moths ago and it was great!
    Its called The Center for Alternative Photograph.

LTI is located at 34 east 30th st between Park and Madison, 212.685.6871.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by IanMazursky View Post
    ...Upstairs, Eric (the owner) has created an alternative process school. I took a wet plate class a few moths ago and it was great!
    Its called [URL="http://www.capworkshops.org/"]The Center for Alternative Photograph...
    Ian.: forgot to mention in my PM. Thanks also for the above info.

Most of my photo work over the years has been what I would call "alternative" in style. i.e., alternative films and alternative subject matter. Not your average snapshot type of stuff. I'll look into taking the class. If offered on weekends would be do-able.

Maybe I could even get one of my two children interested enough to join me... probably dreaming on that...

Cheers. Bob G.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Bob (OP),

I'm in Bergen Cty - I used to use a pro lab in Paramus that I think closed long ago. I was going to ask Bergen County Camera in Westwood about C-41 processing of 120 and 4x5 - I don't think they do it in house, and they're not too convenient for me but better than nothing. What lab do you use - perhaps if more business goes his way, he can stay afloat.

Bob (HP) - Do you have contact info for TPI - I work nearby to Fairfield - they might work for me.

Dan
    1275 Bloomfield Ave. Fairfield

Bergen County Camera has 2 locations; Westwood and Englewood. The Englewood location is closer to you.

Taylor Photo in Princeton Junction vinicity. E-6, C-41, and digital service.

Evan