Thread: for the ULF guys and tire kickers...

for the ULF guys and tire kickers...

Ok dont normally do this and no affiliation to the sellor but there is a 48" f/6.3 Aero for sale in Germany.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270616360397

Check out the size of this monster!

I understand a 48" focal length but the lens board size on this thing must be the firewall from a 1977 Suburban! The last photo really puts things into perspective. I had to laugh. Its just up the road from me but I think the wife would kill me.

./e

Re: for the ULF guys and tire kickers...

it weighs 200 pounds.....should be fine for my kodak 2d....jim?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

This is the guy that has a lot of old aerial recon lenses, none under several thousand dollars. I wonder if there really is a market for these. I'd like to know if aerial mapping is still done on film. One of his rigs has a $45,000 buy it now. I think if I had a company and needed equipment like this, I wouldn't buy it on FeeBay.

Um, guys, don't hyperventilate too much. The USAF data sheet on the EKCo 48"/6.3 what covers 9"x18" gives the weight as 51.75 pounds. I suspect that the one on offer is in a "special" mount.

FWIW, it isn't a horrible lens but may have (a) chromatic aberration problems and (b) poor correction for astigmatism. The data sheet says that with a high contrast (1000:1) target and a W-12 (Wratten #12?), also with a "Red," filter it resolves between 30 and 49 lp/mm across the field (20 degrees) wide open. That is radial resolution, tangential is roughly half as good towards the edge of the field, which is why I have doubts about how well it is corrected for astigmatism.

I'm not sure any of us could use even the lightweight version.

At one time C&E (I think) had one of these monsters, offered it for considerably less than $4,200.

Yes Dan, $1500 AND I think that included the mounting cone- what a deal

neophyte

This guy is just fantastic. He has managed in 53 transactions to score 93% positive (that takes some work), offer a large roll of film fully exposed to light, and request extraordinary prices for his items. We should keep him on the radar to see what other gems roll round.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur