Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Arca Swiss 4x5 Field

Re: Arca Swiss 4x5 Field

The Tenba shootout Large is deep enough for the 6" rail on the bottom of the collapsed
    discovery body.
    Lots more room and great harness as well.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post

Like everyone else, I've been through a few bags in my time-
    For ease of setup, this is the best I've come up with.
    I've hiked this in the Mourne Mountains, and used it around town, works fine.

Of course, it won't suit everyone, particularly not the requirements of the original poster-

A second bag is needed too, for all the other bits, though something like a messenger bag should be enough- depending on how many lenses and and filters and holders- and other stuff- you need.
    A photographer's jacket might also work-

I haven't tested this to destruction, so don't go blaming me if you do-
    I'd recommend an extra strap, and a stronger strap too-
    Using an extra strap, you can carry it like a backpack, but the main reason is for safety- I've had plastic strap clips break before, but under much heavier load than this.

Of course, this will only work with a lightweight tripod.

The bag is a Gill Drypack, designed for gear stowage on boats-
    it's also available in a 50L size, which might be better.

A second bag could go over the tripod legs, and that should be able to keep the rain out, but I haven't got around to getting a second one yet.

The main advantage here is speed of setup- the camera is ready for use almost as soon as you set it on the ground and remove the cover.

As I said, it won't suit everyone- not even me at times- but then, I don't think the perfect bag exists-

That is one very unique way to carry a camera! Like it. May want a better shoulder strap like off a golf bag but that might be the way to photograph downtown.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

I purchased an Arca 4x5 Field only a few years ago from B&H for $2400. It was probably my shortest-lived camera purchase. I have regretted selling all of the Ebony cameras I have owned before or since, but thankfully I have another 45S on the way. A lot of people like the 4x5 Field (Dykinga performed a great service for that model), but the current asking price seems extremely exaggerated. I would consider one for half of what it costs now.