Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeegee board Tips

Squeegee board Tips

In addition to ordering an 8ft steel sink I've decided to get a 21x25 inch steel squeegee board (which I will mount on a piece of plywood backing for stability) but I'm having trouble deciding whether or where to place it. Right over the sink seems logical but it would take up a lot of space I could use for shelving there. Also perhaps I shouldn't attach it permanently to the wall, as I may want to move it around for various purposes (coating paper for platinum prints?)
    any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Re: Squeegee board Tips

Steel? Is it stainless steel? Rust never sleeps...

We have two types -- plex over plywood and one that is more like counter-top material.

The counter-top one is not over a sink and we have a piece of plastic rain-gutter under it to catch the water/chemicals. It is for viewing unwashed prints. The bottom edge of the counter-top (particle board) is slowly soaking up chemicals and expanding -- but it has been in use for 20+ years. We have 125 students every semester using it. It should have had its edges painted to seal them -- too late now. When I replace it, I'll do it to the new one.

With the ones with plex over plywood, the plex is a little bigger than the plywood, so the plywood stays dry. It has been over 25 years since they were installed over the print washer. They are a little small -- about 18x22. One of these days I'll replace them with larger ones -- probably about the size of yours.

Vaughn

Drew Wiley

I have a large sheet of 3/8" thick plate glass resting at one end of the sink, which
    stays nice and flat and is easy to rinse off. For really big prints I have a sheet of
    melamine-coated MDF leaning against a wall, with the edges sealed with epoxy.
    It is quite resistant to moisture. And I also have a strip of plastic rain gutter below
    it, draining into a bucket. The latter material is quite affordable, but you want to
    get it at least 3/4" thick so it won't bow.

Why fix it permanently. Set it up to be removable so you only have it there when needed.

I use a 24x28 piece of gray PVC. I just let the bottom of it sit in the sink by the washer. I also used another piece to view prints while printing. It sits in the sink by the holding tray.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Plate glass is excellent and what I used at first. Then I had a 2X2 ft. slab of white polypro left over from a sink project and found it to be even better, since the water beads up indefinitely - dewets nicely.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    - dewets nicely.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    So is dewetting similar to drying?
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

I keep a large sheet of thick glass (actually, the glass platen from a xerox machine) under the sink, and pull it out when I need to squeegee prints.

Yes, it would be nice to have a permanent installation, but it only takes seconds to pull it out when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    Why fix it permanently. Set it up to be removable so you only have it there when needed.
    I completely agree...no need to fix it permanently...and probably better not to...

I use a sturdy 24x30 (little larger) stainless washer lid upside down for my squeegee board, and keep it tucked nicely on the bottom shelf (dry side) away from everything until I need it....squeegee kept there as well.... (far from fixer or other)....

The only prints that see the board are fully rinsed fixed or toned prints....with a thorough hot water rinse and scrub of the board prior...test prints go straight to a 'viewing tray' then to a separate room, then trash...

Probably more paranoid than most...

Thanks,
    Dan

I'm thinking then, I'll just rest it vertically inside the sink, tilt it up against the wall. Doesn't need to be affixed. Thanks all.