Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Large Format

Thinking about Large Format

Hello, I'm a hobbyist photographer who's currently shooting with a simple Nikon d40.
    After reading about large format cameras in Ansel Adam's The Camera I became interested in Large Format.

I haven't decided whether I'll be getting into it, but wanted to join this forum as a way to live vicariously and ask questions as they come up.

I'm currently working on a photography blog where I want to document my neighbourhood as a way to get out and make pictures of what's around me, instead of trying to find Yosemite in the Ottawa Valley.

http://blackburnbycamera.wordpress.com/

Re: Thinking about Large Format

Hi and welcome to the community. There's a wealth of information on the Large Format Home Page as well as experienced users who can answer your questions.

Enjoy.

Also welcome to the forum. I have walked the same path over the past year, expanding from a Nikon D40/D90 to a 4x5 view camera. It is quite satisfying, but a lot to learn and a financial commitment, even on the cheap.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Welcome to group therepy! You'll never really understand LF photography without actually doing it...a press camera Graphic/Busch/etc. is a fairly inexpensive way to get started and experience the wonder found in a BIG negative. Hope you decide to try it out!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Welcome! Grab yourself a press camera like Vick said, and have fun. My first LF camera was/is a Graflex Super Graphic. Very easy to use, and very convenient. Well, as convenient as a view camera can be. Feel free to experiment and make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Stevens
    They said, "You have a blue guitar,
    You do not play things as they are."

The man replied, "Things as they are
    Are changed upon the blue guitar."

check out

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

especially the equipment reveiws. you might just start with a Calumet or graphic view II for almost next to nothing to see if you are suited for it

A simple one lens set-up can be purchased cheap from a used dealer, such as KEH Camera Brokers, then use trays for development; to see if it is for you. If not you can resell for a small loss.

That's what the current plan is, if I decide to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    That's what the current plan is, if I decide to take the plunge.
    I hope you will, and BTW, I still think you should explore the Ottawa valley.

But wherever you take your first LF photos, we’re looking forward to seeing your work, and hearing more about it.

Good luck with your purchase & welcome…

Dear Coyote,

Welcome, and as a side note, your name suggests that you live in Alberta...

Beg, borrow, or steal a used large format camera for a day, or two, or a week, and you will probably find out very quickly whether you want to continue along this path. It is a fun path, and a path that can lead you to many rewarding moments, especially when you gather success, as you use the equipment more frequently. To ease your transition, you might find that a few large format users are within your immediate area, where they might be able to introduce you to a large format camera's mechanics quickly. The Ottawa Valley has many, many interesting features, and if you use a large format camera, the change in format, combined with its inherent time requirement, might introduce you to a totally new photographic perspective within the valley. Change is good...

Again, welcome to the group and ask your questions freely, since there are many helpful, and well-qualified folks within this forum that can answer your questions with great effect.

jim k