Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Old Geezer Photographer from Canada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An Old Geezer Photographer from Canada

Hi everyone,
    Although I'm not new to LF photography I am trying to get back into it as a hobby after some thirty years of being out of the profession. I started in B&W many many years ago (I'm now 73) and changed over to color when it became popular. Most of my B&W work was done in the 5x7 and 4x5 formats but color was in 120 roll film.
    For portraits I used a 5x7 studio portrait camera with a 120 back. Weddings were done using Mamiya twin lens reflex cameras, fashion and catalogue work I did mainly using a Mamiya RB67 and Architectural work I used B&J 5x7.
    I still have all my cameras namely a NOBA 5x7 with 120 adapter backs,a B&J 5x7 with a 4x5 back, a Graphex Super Speed Graphic with 120 adapter backs,a Mamiya RB67 with all the lenses, a a Mamiya C330 Professional twin lens reflex with interchangeable lenses, a Mamiya C3 Professional body as a spare, and a Pentax SP with a second lens which is a 135mm.
    I'll have to get rid of some of my cameras to raise sufficient funds to set up a b&w darkroom as I'm an old age pensioner living on my government pension which doesn't allow for luxuries even such as an odd film for my 35. So you'll see me around on the WTB/FS section. My interest now is very much in the landscape direction.
    Hope I get to know some of you so that we can gab about the subject as opportunity allows.
    Alexander Tkatschow tkareb@gmail.com

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: An Old Geezer Photographer from Canada

Welcome back to LF!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... and welcome to the forum!

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

You gave me a scare - by your subject line I thought you were going to talk about ME!!
    Welcome! Where in the Peoples Republic of Canada are you?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Well Richard,
    You're in the far East; is Etobicoke close to China?
    To answer your question, I'm in Gibsons, BC, about an hour from Vancouver by Car and Ferry. Here it's called the 'Sunshine Coast'. No idea why.
    Alex

Welcome back to LF
    Where in Canada are you located?
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Hi Frank,
    I hear that if the ocean goes up another 6 inches, Gabriola will be history and you'll have to swim over to Gibsons. You'se a prolific photo-dude mon judging by flickkr.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by tkareb View Post
    Hi Frank,
    I hear that if the ocean goes up another 6 inches, Gabriola will be history and you'll have to swim over to Gibsons. You'se a prolific photo-dude mon judging by flickkr.
    Alex
    thanks for the kind words Alex
    aside from some 35 mm film, most of what you see posted on my flickr site was done with a digital camera. I find it quicker and easier, but film is more challenging and fun..

one of these days I will get more of my LF work on here
    have to get around to scanning some of the sheets of film which I have developed but not done anything with

am at your end of the country right now, but swimming to Gibson's is a little far from me, keep a good look out and I will wave to you, we can see your coast line from where we are situated. We return back to Toronto at the end of August...

good luck with your entry back to the world of photography, it is a great retirement passtime
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_E View Post
    thanks for the kind words Alex
    aside from some 35 mm film, most of what you see posted on my flickr site was done with a digital camera. I find it quicker and easier, but film is more challenging and fun..

one of these days I will get more of my LF work on here
    have to get around to scanning some of the sheets of film which I have developed but not done anything with

am at your end of the country right now, but swimming to Gibson's is a little far from me, keep a good look out and I will wave to you, we can see your coast line from where we are situated. We return back to Toronto at the end of August...

good luck with your entry back to the world of photography, it is a great retirement passtime

Hello Frank,

I'm a friend of Alexander Tkatschow. Alex was excited about getting back into LF and we were waiting for some enlarging equipment to arrive that he purchased on eBay so that we could set up his darkroom. Before it came in, Alex had a major stroke a couple of days before Remembrance Day 2010, that put him in the hospital and now he is in Good Samaritan Care facility in Gibsons.

I'm sure if you fellows that he met here in the forum ever get over this way(Gibsons), he would really like the visit. He still has the desire and love of photography in him and I can tell he is in pain over not being able to follow his love.

My name is Brian Hensler and live in Gibsons BC, moving here from Halifax, NS in 1996. I've owned a Linhof Karden Color 5x7, a Linhof Karden Color 4x5, a Linhof Technica III 4 x5, in the past and enjoyed Black & White photography right into the darkroom. I haven't been into it since leaving NS, and when I met Alex in 2010, he inspired me with the thoughts of getting back into it.

I still have some medium format and 35 mm gear and the Omega D2 Enlarger and hope to get started once I can work a temporary darkroom into my accommodations. I do have a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Century Graphics camera (3 lenses)with back and roll film backs, but being on the coast , find it hard to get film & chemicals. I hate the thought of Digital Photography taking over.

I am sure I registered on this forum before, using the same login because I would not "not register" for such a great forum.

Brian