Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: August Portraits

Re: August Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Here I am photographing Karl Rove. For corporate work I pretend to be Italian and I don't have to put up with as much BS.

Here's the very next image of Frank and Carl.

Attachment 44545

Quote Originally Posted by patrickth View Post
    I see by a post Sarah made on another forum she is headed to the Pacific Northwest, maybe I will ask her if she is up for a shoot with a newbie to 4x5. Lord knows its going to take some patience to get past the first live model shoot.
    With LF, the loading and unloading, cocking of shutters, etc. all take extra time and many inexperienced models are only used to digital "machine gun" shooting and don't hold poses well. Sarah was pretty good at watching me and listening for those tell-tale noises that signal a shot is about to happen... like the woosh of the dark slide and the return of the photographers attention to the model and scene. I only had her for a two hour slot, but we got a lot done... and I made a lot of mistakes which I remedied on my next shoot. With her experience, I didn't need to rush or be nervous (of course, I still was) about the model being "ok."

long time no see , my dear friends..
    sorta different mood,but still , LF.
    recent wedding shooting.
    240mm, linhof technika 4.
    \greetings from Milan.
    www.symbiosa.dphoto.com
    I am a lith printer

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    I made a lot of mistakes which I remedied on my next shoot. With her experience, I didn't need to rush or be nervous (of course, I still was) about the model being "ok."
    That's a nice shot!

Just another round of dittos for Sarah and other highly experienced art models. They are well worth paying a few hundred bucks to shoot with, you'll get more from one session than from most workshops.

The first shoots I did were with Sarah, Tiana Hunter, and Sarah Ellis, three of the best traveling art models on the scene.

Compared to a nervous newbie from Model Mayhem it's like night and day.... but once you learn from the pros, it is much easier to work with the less experienced models.

I don't need to pay models anymore (they tend to find and ask me) but when I know they are making their living from modeling I'll still help out and be as generous as possible. Don't be cheap, they definitely earn their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    With LF, the loading and unloading, cocking of shutters, etc. all take extra time and many inexperienced models are only used to digital "machine gun" shooting and don't hold poses well. Sarah was pretty good at watching me and listening for those tell-tale noises that signal a shot is about to happen... like the woosh of the dark slide and the return of the photographers attention to the model and scene. I only had her for a two hour slot, but we got a lot done... and I made a lot of mistakes which I remedied on my next shoot. With her experience, I didn't need to rush or be nervous (of course, I still was) about the model being "ok."
    I bought an old Beattie Long Roll several years ago and my first model with it was Iona Lynn, (some may know of her here), so it turns out to be the coldest day of the year, she has on an Air Force flight jacket and hat of some kind with ear muffs.

I am trying to focus and she had brought her canon 5d or 40 d or some such. So she grabs her camera, gets a light reading off my old Normans and translates to me and says lets shoot. So I shoot. But she hadn't taken into account a 3 stop difference for bellows extension and a filter I had on the camera.

I abslolutely knew she was wrong, but didn't have the heart to tell her and just fired off a few. Too cold to concentrate. I learned a lesson and next time will be warm when I try this new 4x5 at the very least.

The second one I made (this one) was better, although the sharp area over his ear looks a bit odd.
    Any idea how to avoid that..?
    Simply by looking through this thread I'm getting a lot of ideas about how to improve. Inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovmod View Post
    The second one I made (this one) was better, although the sharp area over his ear looks a bit odd.
    Any idea how to avoid that..?
    nice shot.

his hair is sharp because that is the focus point. the hair is in the same "plane" as his eye....so it is also sharp. not much you can do about it. turn his head slightly would work. use a bit of front and/or back movements. maybe open up the lens a bit more so there is a more shallow DOF and then focus a bit more on the front part of his eye (more towards his nose) you may have been focusing a bit far back (or! more likely he moved.... ) it looks like his nose is a bit out so if you focused forward more you may have less of the hair that is sharp.

keep posting for us to see.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Hovmod View Post
    Inspiring.
    Yes, absolutely true-
    if I were to comment on all of the pictures that inspire me here, I'd never be out of these portrait threads-

Here's one of Inesa, in the church in which she'll be married in a few weeks time-

Arca Irish 8x10, Voigtlander 11" Petzval, Fomapan 100, Scan of contact print on Ilford FB warmtone-

schneider xenar 240mm
    www.symbiosa.dphoto.com
    I am a lith printer