I have the Epson 2450, and here are my thoughts in case anyone is thinking of buying it...

It will not give you the quality of a dedicated film scanner. You shouldn't expect it. It should really be considered a 1200 dpi scanner. Still, 1200 dpi with a 4x5 is pretty good.

I got a 24x20 lightjet print of a scan of Provia 100 F from this scanner and it turned out great. Sharp and without noticable noise or grain. The issue of dmax is very real, but you can get better results with multipass scans and averaging in photoshop. (You have to do it manually, because there are slight registration errors that must be corrected.) Scanning at 2400 and downsizing works as well. Anyway, it just seems less important than with 35mm because your noise isn't getting enlarged to the same degree. (I upgraded my 35mm filmscanner because a low dmax was unlivable.)

The scanner is so cheap. What I will do is get a drum scan if there's anything I want to blow up really big (or maybe if I have a serious cropping situation), but for up to 24x20 this scanner is good enough.