Thread: Hi from New Zealand

Hi from New Zealand

As i don't have a LF yet i feel like a bit of an outsider but the forums have finally convinced me that i really do need to go big.
    Like most people I have shot 35mm and medium format too but never seemed to find the right tool. Never been brave enough to try a large format camera as there are just so many things that can go wrong.
    Would like to try 8x10 and contact printing but most likely it will be 4x5 ... no matter i will use what ever i can find and afford.
    Cheers,
    Brian

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Gday from Southland.

I use a 4x5 mostly, and scan my negatives on an epson v700 scanner. Print on an epson too. You can make digital negatives and use them for contact printing which is what I bought a printer for.

I also wanted to contact print from 8x10 when I started but I am glad I gave in and went for a more affordable 4x5. A 4x5 is so much more likely to be used regularly than an unwieldly 8x10. 5x7 is well worth a look but film can be difficult, ilford ok, tmax 400 and colour=cut your own from 8x10.

Cost increases exponentialy with the size of the camera. Film is expensive here, I get mine from B&H in NY and find it a lot less expensive provided you order a decent volume. Takes a week to arrive usually. I get lots of pleasure and relaxation from my camera, ocasionaly results. Once you are set up and provided you do not fall into the classic GAS rut, it is good value.

There are a few people from both the NI and SI on this forum, if you need help.

This forum is a good place to buy cameras and optics, you can usually investigate any sellers by looking at previous sales and posts etc. ebay is a dark and dangerous place from our far away corner, unless you are very shure of yourself. I got my camera here for a reasonable price, but it is important to be patient. Lots of stuff seems to trade on APUG too theese days. There is not much of a market on trademe, I tried selling my first setup there and nobody would buy it, a while back there were 25 4x5 film holders going for a reasonable price but I dont think anyone even bid, there is a very expensive Rodenstock lens on there which has failed to sell for a long time now. But you may get lucky. Beware of lens sellers on ebay australia. Buy well because once you have it you have it.

Good luck and make many photographs.

David

Hi David, greetings from Tauranga
    I think 4x5 will be the way to go and buying from the USA sure is cheaper than any dealer here in NZ like about 50% after currency exchange and postage
    I have been looking on Trade Me of course and there has been some neat stuff for sale, now that i have decided to man up and go large i will be following the auctions. The forum is unavailable to me for the first 90 days but once i have done my time i will be looking there. I did once see a cheap Sinar on TM that there was no interest in at all I almost bought it out of pity .... almost.
    Cheers,
    Brian

Welcome to group therepy! 4x5 is certainly more afordable, but they're ALL fun!

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Brian View Post
    Never been brave enough to try a large format camera as there are just so many things that can go wrong.
    I would say that there are just so many things that can go right!!

Would like to try 8x10 and contact printing but most likely it will be 4x5 ... no matter i will use what ever i can find and afford.
    Cheers,
    Brian
    Contact printing 8x10 is a different process than enlarging 4x5 and carries with it an associated sensibility which will undoubtedly lead you to consider alternative processes, exploring ancient optics, or at the very least bask in the culture of contact printing. Which do you feel a greater affinity for?

BTW I have an Uncle Brian in Wales...did you move recently?

Love New Zealand!!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

No I sad to say I'm not your uncle Brian from Wales the family have been in NZ a long time almost as long as there have been Europeans here.

I do have a 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 dry plate camera (Kodak Model 'B' Made in Great Britain) that does not have a lens or film holder and i have considered coating my own plates and generally making a mess. Finding such bits in NZ is a bit of a challenge and i may put a help advt in the sales section once my 30 days are up

Are you the same Richard who was looking for wildflower seeds or are there two LF guys in Etobicoke?

Greeting Vick and thanks for the welcome

Sure is friendly around here

Film and Darkroom User

Enjoy the jump Brian.
    Regards
    Dave
    The PPC

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Brian View Post
    No I sad to say I'm not your uncle Brian from Wales the family have been in NZ a long time almost as long as there have been Europeans here.
    That's OK, ONE from Wales is probably enough!

I do have a 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 dry plate camera (Kodak Model 'B' Made in Great Britain) that does not have a lens or film holder and i have considered coating my own plates and generally making a mess. Finding such bits in NZ is a bit of a challenge and i may put a help advt in the sales section once my 30 days are up
    I own a WP camera too and I love the format. I think that you should be able to find a holder or 2 for it through this forum or eBay...they would have to have a sheath in them to accommodate film though.

Are you the same Richard who was looking for wildflower seeds or are there two LF guys in Etobicoke?
    Guilty...
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Welcome to the forum Brian.
    If you want to see the difference between a 4x5 enlarged to 8x10 and an 8x10 contact print. I can do what I did for another LF forum member, and send you one of each. Email me your address to
    mwynd@gordontafe.edu.au
    cheers
    Mike Wynd