Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10---Horizontal to Vertical unique method

Re: 8x10---Horizontal to Vertical unique method

Couple of things about this paticular setup

One the negative stage on that Deveere kind of relies on pressure off the head to produce a tight fit when the negative stage is in , I would question this .

As well what I find most beautiful about the Devere Vertical enlarger is the ability to drop the table to the floor raise the head to the top and still fine focus with the two focusing knobs at the front of the baseboard. This configuration looks like it is deactivated.

Devere also makes a wicked horizontal enlarger much like the Durst and I have used both and they are great machines.

So if I was only going for 30x40 or under prints I would not purchase this unit , in fact I think since these big enlargers are going for decent rates compared to new prices I would think this modification has pretty well made this enlarger useless.
    It does have rollers on the bottom so that it could fit onto a beveled rack to move back and forth from the wall , so maybe for monster enlargements at horizontal setting it would be ok but I still question the negative stage not being up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Couple of things about this paticular setup

One the negative stage on that Deveere kind of relies on pressure off the head to produce a tight fit when the negative stage is in , I would question this .

As well what I find most beautiful about the Devere Vertical enlarger is the ability to drop the table to the floor raise the head to the top and still fine focus with the two focusing knobs at the front of the baseboard. This configuration looks like it is deactivated.

Devere also makes a wicked horizontal enlarger much like the Durst and I have used both and they are great machines.

So if I was only going for 30x40 or under prints I would not purchase this unit , in fact I think since these big enlargers are going for decent rates compared to new prices I would think this modification has pretty well made this enlarger useless.
    It does have rollers on the bottom so that it could fit onto a beveled rack to move back and forth from the wall , so maybe for monster enlargements at horizontal setting it would be ok but I still question the negative stage not being up to snuff.
    Good points. Looking at the OP ebay ad again, it mentions a 'copy camera' setup, so maybe when it is on its side, film is to be used instead of a negative carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    Any front surface mirror should work. Maybe one from an old TLR?

- Hmm. And I've got a couple old Mamiya TLR's stashed somewhere. I suppose a perfect 45 degree orientation is critical to avoid stretching the image though a pivoting mount would let you adjust the image til it looked right. Sounds like another project.
    A laser alignment tool for enlargerrs bouncing from wall to mirror to the bottom of you glass carrier (with lens off) and straight back to the laser tool, should be able to let you get it set up perfectly.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

[QUOTE=civich;610892]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Have you used it? How does that work out for you? Any issues w/mirror scratches or defects?
    The mirror screws onto the lensboard mount, i.e., cone > lensboard > mirror. My mirror came in the original box, and I think that it was unused. The problem is that since I don't have a "real" darkroom, using it is problematic. You may have seen my photo of my D3 on a cart in my bathroom. Behind it is the spot for vetical projection, which is a window I fitted a board over. Since my enlarger is on a cart, even though all the wheels lock down, aligning it and keeping it aligned is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    Old Elwoods do that.
    Having owned a couple of 5x7 Elwood enlargers, do you know the required size and torque for the bolts on the end of the base to hold it down in the horizontal position?

As they were built by the Elwood Pattern Company (or something like that, and you certainly knew it from the design and construction), those castings were heavy!!!

You might want the table anchored down as well, or with considerable weight on it, overwise it might point at the ceiling (sort of an reversed vertical enlarger), rather than the wall...

Well thanks aduncanson, that explains the pivot on them,

Len

Sweet, maybe I can make my Omega F do that!!

Len,

My Elwood is a floor standing 8x10 and I cannot imagine tilting it that way even though it also has a hinge for that purpose. My biggest worry is that the heat absorbing and diffusing glass would crash into the reflector. Mine has nothing securing it for tilting. Even the negative carrier glass could potentially fall.

I lifted the graphic from the Elwood manual on the Camera Eccentric web site. The text addresses bolting the stand to a table or baseboard with three 3/16th wood screws. The same screws would be more than adequate for anchoring the baseboard or the table. See the following page for the manual:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/elwood_1.html

Good luck - Alan