Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista/Shen Hao: weight

Wista/Shen Hao: weight

Hi all; I have in mind to buy a "light" 4x5 wood field camera and almost narrowe d my choice down to Wista 45 DXIII (with international back) or Shen Hao HZ45-II . I am in search of actual informations about the weight of these cameras. This spec seem to vary considerably from one source to the other. Many thanks in adva nce.

I haven't compared the Shen Hao (which I own) with a Wista, but I can tell you t hat compared to a Tachihara it is heavier. This is probably due to its teak cons truction and the presence of more metal parts for the greater movement versatili ty it boasts.

Not to muddy the waters but have you considered a camera from RH Phillips?? I have his 4x5 which weighs in around 4 lbs and IMHO is quite stable. There are now several versions, one with a hybrid wide angle bellows, or another with a Horseman back if you'd like a fresnel.

Unless you have an overriding need for an International back you should be aware the most Wista owners don't need one as the standard back opens so wide that most roll holder just slip right in. Wista also makes roll holders with a protective plate so it won't scratch the GG.

About weight on a Cherry DX III is 77.8oz.

You can save some weight by not getting a model with the International back.

Jean-Marie, you may want to consider the Tachihara field camera. It is light weight and a lot less expensive than the Wista. Use the money you save to invest in good lens. Check with Midwest Photo Exchange at Mpex.com or Badger Graphic at Badgergraphic.com I think Robert White in the UK also handles them.

The SHen Hao sold by Badger Graphics weighs about 5.5 pounds, somewhat more than indicated on the She Hao website.

Thanks all for your input. If my conversion is'nt wrong (1 pound = 453.6g and 1ounce = 77.8 g) both cameras are significantly heavier than their specifications : 2494g in stead of 2200g for the Shen Hao and 2205g in stead of 1800 to 2000g for the Wista. And they are not much lighter than my Toyo (2800g measured with AS plate/2722g specified).

Jean-Marie: About the weight conversion: 1 ounce should be 27.8 grammes, not 77.8. I don't know whether it was a typo or if you really used 77.8 in your calculations. If using the 77.8 value, it could explain the much higher weight values you got. I hope that light weight isn't the only parameter in "weeding out" cameras that you don't want. Every camera have their pros and cons, and weight is only one of those parameters.

Hi Bjorn You're right this was a typo: should have wrighten 1 ounce = 28,35g; that's the value I used. Of course weight is not the only parameter, but what I'm looking for is a lighter (750 to 1000g less) replacement for the Toyo 45AII I have been using for 4 years. I also wish an international back for my 6x12 Horseman back. If such a camera does not exist I'll certainly keep shooting the Toyo.

I remember having a look at the newest Toyo foldable camera a month ago, the Toyo 45 CF. It weighs 1550 grammes and even though it is built to be light, it did feel rigid enough. It may lack some of the features that you need, but it is certainly worth a look. Some readers might be "put off" by the fact that the body is constructed out of ABS plastic, but it is reinforced with stainless steel parts where necessary. The sales person told me about a skier who had the camera in an ordinary backpack. On a trip that skier took a couple of falls where he tumbled and landed on his back. There was no damage whatsoever to the camera. Now, would I buy it? I'm not sure, as very light weight isn't my top priority, but at least I didn't dislike the camera and I think that I could make good use of it if that was the camera I used.