Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown/Super Graphic stability? Alternatives?

Stefan

Re: Crown/Super Graphic stability? Alternatives?

Im not really interested in monorail cameras, as I need something fairly portable and quick to set up. Field cameras could be of interest, but I have yet to see one that is capable, sturdy and 200-400$ used. I might pick up a 100-200$ monorail someday, but it is not what I need right now.

It still seems to me that a better press camera is the way to do. I read up on the Busch Pressman D and it seems to be a very capable camera. Reading about that, I also stumbled upon the Burke & James Press camera.

1. The Crown, again. Linked inner rails for wide angle focusing. Limited movements, no rotating back.

2. Super Graphic. Gains many movements over the Crown, a rotating back and all metal construction. Looses the linked rails for wide angle focusing (thanks for the tip Mr. Fromm, important information indeed).

3. Busch Pressman D. Lots of movement, rotating back, all metal, said to have very good build quality. Unfortunately, small lens boards restricting lens use to #0 and some #1 lenses, many wide lenses do not fit, nor can they be focused on inner rails.

4. Burke & James Press. Lots of movement, rotating back, all metal, but build quality seems lower than the others (hard to find information though). No lens board issues, also no inner rails.

I seems I want the body of the Baush Pressman D, the back and lensboard of the Super Graphic, the front standard of the B&J Press and the inner focusing rails of the Crown...

Hows about an M.P.P., generally not that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Hows about an M.P.P., generally not that expensive.
    Essentially an English Linof Technika, (based on the early model), the Mk VII is the best, but they are rarely cheap these days.

The Busch Pressman has poor flexibility, difficult to change lenses etc.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    they are rarely cheap these days.

Ian
    Not true. Apparently you've never actually used one.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Stefan

What would be the strengths of the MPP, compared to the four I listed? How are movements and lens compatibility?

While the other cameras have some strengths, none are going to be appreciably better all-around than a good Crown Graphic, they are all in the same league. You might do better waiting patiently for a really good deal on one of the favorites suggested here, based on the condition of the camera rather than any specific model.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    It has a decent range of movement and changing lenses is easy. It has a small lensboard and narrow bellows opening though, so recessed lensboards are a no-no (in fact any lensboard is difficult to find), and lenses with large rear elements won't fit. But there are plenty of sensibly priced excellent small lenses that will fit, and that are more in keeping anyway.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hi, engl. My sympathies on your bum deal. Graphics are built like tanks, weigh proportianately, and when they aren't destroyed, are good indefinitely. I had to replace the GG on my Super Graphic, but now it is absolutely fine.

The first LF camera I bought was a Super Graphic, and I still use it. I also have a Toyo 45AX. The cameras weigh the same and are about the same size. The Super Graphic doesn't have rear movements, but for landscape work it isn't something I miss. It is very fast to set up (hello, press camera here) and start photographing. The 45AX is a bit more fiddly, and it has more movements.

The linked focusing is only worthwhile for the range finder or the distance guage. Otherwise put a piece of tape on the bed, mark some distances, and be done. I always use the GG with my Super Graphic.

What kind of photography do you really want to do with the camera? If you are going to put it on a tripod, then of course you will use the GG, and setup time isn't that critical. If it is going to be hand held, then press cameras, or something with a hand grip, are going to be the only choice. Press cameras are designed to be folded up with the lens on the camera, so that's also nice.

Is there a LF group where you live? Then you could see (and handle) a number of cameras and talk to people about them.

I cannot imagine a Crown Graphic being "unstable". Nor can I fathom how the front standard could ever be not parallel to the film plane....unless the camera was butchered by some hack that thought it would be better with front swings....or, possibly, somebody tried to close it with the focus rail extended....or the camera was run over by a garbage truck or something equally unlikely.

As others have already said, the Crown Graphic is going to be hard to beat given your desire for inexpensive, sturdy, quick to set up and portable...etc.

Sounds like you really got the shaft. Any chance of returning for a refund?

Gee a Pressman just popped up in the classified, $210 w lens... looks nice (no relationship w seller, buyer beware).