Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo to Technika adapter?

Toyo to Technika adapter?

Any here use a Toyo to Technika adapter?

I just bought a Toyo 45AX and all my lenses are on Technika boards. Even moreso, I'm thinking I'll leave them on the Technika boards, even after I sell my other view camera, since those are smaller.

But looking at picts of the adapter, I'm wondering if using it is a pain in the butt. The locking lever for the technika board seems awfully tight up against the locking lever for the Toyo. But I've never seen one in person nor could I find anything here on the board...

Should I get one or just change the boards?

--Darin

Re: Toyo to Technika adapter?

Just to be clear, I'm interesting in learning first-hand experiences with the Toyo field camera to Technika adapter, not the Toyo monorail series...thanks!

--Darin

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nika_type.html

This is actually one of the better Linhof adapter boards. I have adapted these to non-Toyo cameras as well. They show up on the auction site periodically.

FWIW, when I owned a Canham which accepted Toyo field boards, I had the Canham "Linhof Adapter Frame". This doesn't even have an independent retaining slider for the Technika board - it's just a frame that sits in the front standard opening, filling it just enough so that the Technika board has something to sit on and is held securely by the camera's own retaining slider.

You'd need to check with Keith Canham to verify that this would work on a Toyo - conceivably its function depends on some peculiarity of the front standard opening or of the retaining slider on the Canhams.

Victor, are they easy to use--they aren't sort of tight with both rails being so close together?

--Darin

The Canham lens boards are the same size as Toyo but slightly thicker and cheaper. I standardized to Canham boards which are ~$35 each and still available new. I have SK Grimes make any adapter boards that are needed. So if you have an Arca 8x10, you could make an Arca to Canham adapter board and I think use Canham boards on the Toyo also. Overall, that might be the cheapest option. Just some thoughts.

I use a Wehman to Canham adapter and an Arca to Canham adapter with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    FWIW, when I owned a Canham which accepted Toyo field boards, I had the Canham "Linhof Adapter Frame". This doesn't even have an independent retaining slider for the Technika board - it's just a frame that sits in the front standard opening, filling it just enough so that the Technika board has something to sit on and is held securely by the camera's own retaining slider.

You'd need to check with Keith Canham to verify that this would work on a Toyo - conceivably its function depends on some peculiarity of the front standard opening or of the retaining slider on the Canhams.
    Good lead--and sounds like a good design idea. Thanks!

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    The Canham lens boards are the same size as Toyo but slightly thicker and cheaper. I standardized to Canham boards which are ~$35 each and still available new. I have SK Grimes make any adapter boards that are needed. So if you have an Arca 8x10, you could make an Arca to Canham adapter board and I think use Canham boards on the Toyo also. Overall, that might be the cheapest option. Just some thoughts.
    As it turns out--you must have ESP!--I *do* have an Arca 8x10 sitting here (actually, set up and shooting in my bedroom--not what you think!). I didn't realize before this thread that the Canham boards fit the Toyo.

Now I see that I have two broad options:

1) Standardize on Technika (smaller, already have them) and buy an adapter for the Toyo (already have one for the Arca).

2) Move to Canham boards (slightly larger, don't already have them) and use them natively on the Toyo and use another adapter on the Arca (I think I already have this adapter--a new-ish looking one from SK Grimes--you tell me!).

Is there any real advantage to #2 given its larger size and the fact that I'd have to buy all new boards?

--Darin

Oh, one more thing I was thinking about--not sure if it is possible. If I used Technika boards I wondered whether I could take a recessed Toyo board and have SK Grimes attach an adapter to it reversed--so the board will stick *out* and I can mount my lenses there. Would be good for my 300 to focus it closer than fifteen feet...

--Darin

Film and Darkroom User

I have a Toyo 45AII and a Canham 5x12. My experience is that Toyo boards fit the Canham but the Canham boards are too thick to fit the Toyo. I use all Toyo boards for that reason. They may fit if forced but I don't want to do that.