Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phillips Explorer and Compact II 8x10

Phillips Explorer and Compact II 8x10

I recently visited a friend of mine in poland, who has a Phillips Compact II 8x10, after about a week experimenting with it i was in love! now as you can guess im dying to get my hands on one. Even the explorer model which im told is just as amazing.

has anyone any idea where i might start looking for one? (other than keeping my eyes peeled on ebay of course),( ive combed google to no avail), or knows of anyone thinking of selling? I know how rare these cameras are, and its probably just a matter of being patient until one turns up.

i once read that the Chamonix 8x10 is just as good, but im not fully convinced.

Drew Wiley

Re: Phillips Explorer and Compact II 8x10

These are very difficult to acquire. Once in awhile one seems to turn up for sale on
    this forum or ebay, but used Phillips cameras command very high prices. You might post a WTB. It is my own most used camera, but a Chamonix would be a more realistic option in a new camera, a certainly a lot cheaper.

If you like the Phillips, you might love the Richard Ritter even better.
    http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Drew Wiley

Dick Phillips first made one of these cameras for personal use, then a few more as
    samples. I bought one of these first ones, and it still works superbly. The interesting thing is that he described it as an entry-level inexpensive 8X10, and did indeed at
    that time sell them very reasonably. The pro camera shops made fun of the camera
    because of its lack of fancy wood or die-cast alloys; and relatively-speaking it was
    a very easy camera to manufacture - basically made with simple shop tools. The
    secret was in the innovative simplified design and a custom-made plywood which was a lightweight laminate of fiberglass and epoxy-impregnated cherrywood. Once
    the idea caught on, he couldn't keep up with the demand, so had to sub out a lot of
    the manufacturing, and hence had to raise the price substantially. The very high prices you see now are simply due to scarcity - none of us wants to let go of the
    camera we use!

Does the email address for him that was listed here origionally still work? i live in Ireland so i cant phone so see if he knows of anyone selling.

Dick retired recently and moved from Michigan to Texas. I don't have up-to-date contact info, but I understand he's given up on trying to keep track of interested buyers / sellers. The best thing is just to keep an eagle-eye out.

EDIT: I see that a Compact II was sold just a few days ago on eBay, by a seller in the UK, for £3000.

do you have a link for that?

Since I got my Shen Hao 8x10 last year I have seen about 7 Phillips 8x10 cameras on the market that I have aware of. I have been watching just to see what people are paying for these. (I love my Shen Hao BTW).

For the price of a Phillips 8x10 on the used market I got a new Shen Hao 8x10 and second hand 210 Angulon, 250/6.7 Fujinon, 300/5.6 Fujinon and 125/8 Fujinon, 8 plastic film holders, 2 of them new in box, 100 sheets of Kodak T-max 400 8x10, a Durst L1840 10x10 enlarger and CLS2000 head with 360, 300, 250, 210, 150, 80 lenses and 4 mixing boxes

There is an 8x10 Phillips Advantage #175 at my local dealer now ($3495): http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format.htm

I have not gone to look at it because I'd have to sell a boat-load of stuff to afford it

Quote Originally Posted by patrickhough View Post
    do you have a link for that?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILLIPS-COMPACT...item4aa2e955e2

damn i just missed out on that. strange that there was only one person who bid on it. usually there is full on war for these things.