Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Worst Advice (in ANY format)

Re: The Worst Advice (in ANY format)

"Don't go into photography - there's no future in it. Get a real career instead."

I've heard this so many times from so many people I can't even remember who first said it to me. I've heard it from pro photographers, assistants, friends, relatives, etc. Too bad for them I have a listening problem.

When I was a beginner, I had lots of questions, and I learned very quickly to differentiate between those who knew what they were talking about and those who didn't know squat but pretended to. I remember asking a photographer who I thought was more experienced than I how to control for a particularly difficult back-lighting situation. He didn't know the answer, but was the type who wouldn't admit it (my wife calls them "male experts") so he said, very condescendingly, "You are too technical - just let the art wash over you." I remember thinking "Gee. Thanks. That oughta work"

In any field of art, there are materials and techniques we all have to learn. When someone asks me a question I can't answer, I say that I don't know rather than reproducing BS and folklore. Maybe I didn't help them find out what they wanted but I least I have not derailed their search. And, trust me, there is an awful lot I don't know.

"You should try selling some of those prints, they're really nice."

WTF? Somebody told me that just last week. As if! What are they tryin' to pull? Butter me up, make me all soft & gooey, then rat on me to the Internet, probably with a "mere St. Ansel knock-off" put down or something equally off-base.

But I'm on to ya, and believe me I'll sell when I'm durn good & ready!

jetcode

if you can't make it good make it big - Steve Kaiser

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    if you can't make it good make it big - Steve Kaiser
    Actually that is good advice.

My first photo studio, I was about 21 at the time, was a share with a much older and more established photographer. One day I come back to the studio and see him on the phone, his face growing redder and redder. I knew he had his "favorite" client on the phone, you might know the type, a client who owes you so much money, and is of course way past due, but if you stop shooting for him you'll never get paid. Anyway, he was trying to explain to the client how this client's product, a gray sweater with thin red stripes always photographed pink. At this point I see that my studio mate has had enough. Neck veins bulging, he screams into the phone," it's not the effing lights, or the effing film, you effing bastard, it's the effing sweater!!!!" and then slams down the phone receiver and in a continuous motion turns to me and says, "kid, now THAT'S how you talk to a client!!!!"

"Never listen to advice!"

Vaughn

Twice, I have received the same "critique" (advice?) on a photo:

1. a picture inside the Pantheon on Rome, lit, of course, by the sunlight through the oculus in the ceiling.

2. a picture lit by the natural light from a window to the side of the subject.

In both cases, the "person who knew better" suggested that I move the light source.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    2. a picture lit by the natural light from a window to the side of the subject.

In both cases, the "person who knew better" suggested that I move the light source.
    Hah! That's the same advice I gave a YouTube vlogger the other day!

Quote Originally Posted by poco View Post
    Plus you can load two 120's onto plastic without taping the ends. I fell for the "real men only use metal" line once, bought the thing and wrestled with it for a few hours. Now I use the metal tank to steam milk for lattes. Haven't found use for the reels themselves -- maybe to mash potatoes?
    I hope you're joking!

multiplex

"throw away your camera, you are wasting your time"