Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: advice on field 4x5

Re: advice on field 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Toho's are nice. I have one, that I got from another LF forum user who was also getting out of backpacking myself. It doesn't have anywhere near the fit and finish of, say, an Ebony or Arca or Chamonix, but it's lighter than all of them, in fact, slightly less than 1/3 the weight of the Ebony that I'm hoping to sell -- which is also WHY I'm looking to sell my lovely Ebony camera.
    At 1.4kg, a Toho FC-45X isn't really much lighter, if at all, than a Chamonix (045N1 weights at 1.38kg or 1.42kg depending on the wood, 045N2 is 100g heavier). It is indeed significantly lighter than a Ebony with similar bellow extension (45S or 45SU for example) or an Arca-Swiss.

Lachlan 717

My Shen Hao XPO handles a 270mm Petzval, lens iris and Sinar shutter at portrait extensions. It will handle your lens. (You'll see photos of this set up elsewhere in the Forum).

It also has over 400mm of draw, although I wouldn't probably recommend full extension with your 300mm on it outside a studio setting; the last 50mm of draw is done with a quad extension. Do-able, just not super solid.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by sergiob View Post
    I want a faster camera to setup. The only way I can carry my monorail is disassembling it. Then I have to assemble it for every shot. It is not THAT bad, but it is a pain.
    If you are willing to accept some additional weight and bulk, the new Shen Hao non-folder is an option. It will set-up/tear-down much more quickly than a folding camera.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3420

I believe there are already several threads on this forum discussing this camera.

Non-folding cameras typically provide the most extension, light weight, and compactness when stowed. Non-folding cameras provide the fastest setup times, at some cost of extension, weight and compactness. An ultra lightweight monorail such as the Toho falls somewhat in between. As you say, trade-offs, trade-offs...

I would definitely suggest losing the 300mm Symmar-S. That lens is far too heavy and bulky for 4x5 field applications.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Leppanen View Post
    If you are willing to accept some additional weight and bulk, the new Shen Hao non-folder is an option. It will set-up/tear-down much more quickly than a folding camera.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3420

I believe there are already several threads on this forum discussing this camera.

Non-folding cameras typically provide the most extension, light weight, and compactness when stowed. Non-folding cameras provide the fastest setup times, at some cost of extension, weight and compactness. An ultra lightweight monorail such as the Toho falls somewhat in between. As you say, trade-offs, trade-offs...

I would definitely suggest losing the 300mm Symmar-S. That lens is far too heavy and bulky for 4x5 field applications.
    Eric,

This is the camera that I referred to in the post above yours. No doubt we were typing at the same time!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Trading the 300mm symmar in for a Nikon or Fuji 300mm compact lens would be a good idea. Not only are those lenses plenty bright for focusing, they're much lighter, more compact, and they take smaller filters. Since you'll be shooting at F22 or smaller, the only thing that 5.6 is buying you is a slightly brighter ground glass. The biggest advantage of the smaller lenses is that they won't stress your camera at the long extensions needed to use them.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I use a 10" f/4.5 on my Tachihara with no problems at all. I suppose it is probably comparable (in weight) to your 300/5.6.

Suggest you pick a camera, then worry about new lenses if you have a problem. (You won't.)