Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tele lens on 4x5?

Re: Tele lens on 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by earnwkw View Post
    So any comment on nikon versus fujifilm?
    I anticipate that in real world use they will be indistinguishable in terms of image quality. That means other factors become more relevant:

According to the comparison charts both are in copal-1 shutters and both take 52mm filters, so nothing to choose between them there. The max aperture of the Fuji is slightly wider (f8.5 v f9); the image circle of the Fuji is slightly larger, and the Fuji is slightly lighter in weight. Those considerations *might* tend to favour the Fuji, but in reality, the differences are pretty minor.

If you are looking to buy new then you have no choice - it has to be the Fuji because Nikon no longer manufacture LF lenses and I'd be surprised if you find any retailers who still have it in stock. If you are looking to buy second hand then I suspect the Nikkor will be easier to find through the normal sources.

Declaration of interest: I have the Nikkor-M 300 for 4x5 and love it.

Hope this helps

Drew Wiley

Besides the differences in movement and coverage, telephoto lenses will be significantly heavier and bulkier. They will probably give compromised performance at
    close distances. And I really doubt they are in fact equal to the optical quality of the two standard lenses you mentioned. As far as the Fuji C and Nikkor M are concerned,
    these are both outstanding lenses on 4x5, but a little tight with 8x10 coverage. I would resort to a telephoto design only if my camera didn't have sufficient bellows for
    another option.

thanks all for the contribution . I will look for a fuji c or nikon m =]

I've had a Fuji 300T and a Nikon 300M. The Fuji was no where near as sharp as the Nikon and a pain to work with too. If you have the bellows, to me there's no question, buy the normal lens.

Sold the 300T and will never let go of the M. I use it for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rhoades View Post
    I've had a Fuji 300T and a Nikon 300M. The Fuji was no where near as sharp as the Nikon and a pain to work with too. If you have the bellows, to me there's no question, buy the normal lens.

Sold the 300T and will never let go of the M. I use it for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.
    Jim, +1 on the 300M , but I think the OP is tossing up between the 300M and the Fuji 300-C (not 300-T). Do you have any experience to share regarding the 300-C?

Cheers

Seabird, Nope I never used a 300C. I do have a Fuji 105 that is a very nice lens. I don't know if there would be any difference between the C and M.

I will say that the two best, sharpest lenses that I have ever used are the 300M and a Docter Germinar 240W. I know that Fuji made a 240 that's a touch smaller than the Germinar. However I have learned that once you find a really sharp lens you never let it go. BTW, the Germinar fits inside my Linhof.

Funny thing is you never know what will turn in an amazing performance. I had a high rated 135mm Plasmat but my 135 Schneider Xenar from my Crown Graphic kicked it's butt all over the ground glass. I gave up the coverage for the sharpest lens. I'm still looking for a 135 that's really sharp, with coverage. If I could only find a Sironar S in my price range that's as sharp as they say..

I had a beautiful 300mm Nikkor-M some years ago. It is a wonderful lens but, always wanted the 300mm Fujinon-C instead because of its seemingly superior specs (on paper). So I sold the Nikkor and bought the compact fujinon. It too was a fantastic lens...in fact, I really could not find any practical difference between the two. They are both small, take 52mm filters, fit in a copal #1 shutter....both cover 8x10 with plenty of room. Neither really has any advantage at all over the other.

Oddly, I ended up selling the Fujinon too. I found a 300mm APO Sironar-N which, asside from focal length has nothing in common with the two compact lenses. The Sironar is a monster lens. Hugh, heavy, bright(!). Well, OK it too is wonderfully sharp and has ample coverage for 8x10.

In short, I really don't think there is any practical difference between the 300mm Nikkor-M and the 300mm Fujinon-C.