Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ahh! help with b/w processing

ahh! help with b/w processing

Paul,

I develope 4x5 negs in the Unicolor print drum. I figured that if the 4x5 / 8x10 print drum took paper of that size, it could also accommodate 4x5 film. It does. And very well too. No modifications necessary. Insert a sheet with the emulsion facing the interior of the drum, one edge against the "v" on the inside edge and the other against the plain stop. 2 sheets can be loaded side by side on both sides of the "v" to equal 4 sheets. Overlaps during processing have never been a problem. I just fill the drum with as much as it will hold (about 16 oz.) or until it dribbles out. Never a bad neg. . . . . . . . yet. Note: I'm developing 4x5 b & w only . . . no color. For 35mm and 120 film I'm using the same motor base with Patterson tanks and reels. Hope that helps. -Steve Feldman

P.S. The daylite tank can makes great planters. - S.

Dave Karp

Paul,

As an alternative to the tank, and to make life easier than traditional tray processing, try Phil Bard's Processing Panel. It is an inexpensive device that holds your 4x5 negatives in place and allows processing of multiple sheets without having to shuffle them. The design is similar to the "Slosher" that John Sexton devised for compensating development using highly dilute developer. The biggest difference is that Bard's design does not require glue to hold the panel together. You can buy everything you need (plexiglass and some stainless steel hardware) at the local hardware store or Home Depot, and it costs less than $12.00. Plans are available on Phil Bard's website www.philbard.com. I have used it, and development is even, with no streaking or mottling. Much less expensive than a rotary processor.

I use a Nikor SS tank, got off of Ebay for $60. If you find one make sure you get the band that goes around the film cage as it keeps the edges clear from the bars. I have done 12 sheets and no problems as yet. I use HC 110 also with fuji acros. David.

I use a Jobo tank and reel but rotate it by hand in a water bath. It works great. It's simple, straightforward (once you learn how to load the reel), and I get nice, even development.

Dave

My tank is by "doran." here's a followup - there's just no way I can make this thing work. Looks like unicolor time. Thanks for everyone's help.

You should take a look at the BTZS developing tubes for 4x5. They are easy to use and give even development.